Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to do an all nighter....

Options
mjs2171
mjs2171 Posts: 26
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is my 2nd one.  Quick question about the lump charcoal.  The 1st time around the egg was empty so I used new lump charcoal and of course filled it up good.  This time around I have some semi used pieces after I have raked them and got all the small and loose particles/ash out of it.  So, my question is should I empty and start fresh, or pile up on the pieces that are still left.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Burn up the old.  The Egg doesn't mind a bit.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'm five hours into a brisket. Had half a firebox left in the Egg, so I took it all out, cleaned all the ash out, then repacked the firebox, using a mix of new and old. That's always worked for me.
    Options
    I'm about an hour away from putting on a 12.5 lb brisket.  I did Porterhouse steaks earlier.  Plan to fill up with new lump on top of the old, add some chunks and let the Stoker take control all night.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I need to be done and FTC'd by 8am EDT so I can pack up and drive a couple hours. Brisket is for lunch. Just entered the stall at 150 (dropped from 154). Hoping for a long enough stall to not get done too early. Either way, it's going to be a night with not too much sleep.