Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country ribs cooking time

Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My family likes their ribs fallin' off the bone, so I have been using the 3-2-1 method for my baby backs. I just picked up some country style ribs and was wondering how to adjust the time on these monsters. They are really meaty and I dont know how much longer they would take to get the same results. Thanks, Billy

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_07_9919_20_01.jpg
    <p />Billy, country ribs really aren't ribs but do have a great taste! I follow Nature Boy’s (325 for 2.5-3 hours) suggestion of starting indirect and finishing direct. [p]Check out the link...

[ul][li]Country Style Ribs[/ul]
  • Billy
    Gfw,
    Will this give me the tenderness that I get from using the foil in the 3-2-1 method? I was thinking of trying that same method , but maybe adjusting for the extra size of the ribs.( 4-3-1 ?? ). Have you ever tried them with foil? Thanks, Billy[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Billy,
    I personally do not like the use of foil in Q'n. If you want them to be more tender try cooking for a longer time. What temp are you cooking them and for how long? Direct or indirect?

• Billy
    JJ,
    I have never tried them. I thought I would get the opinions on the forum first. I have cooked baby backs though, using a few different methods. My family liked the ribs from the foil method best because it gave the most " fallin' off the bone " results. Thanks, Billy

• Gfw
    Billy, never tried the foil on country ribs - don't think that it's necessary - country ribs are actually closer to a pork butt or even chops. I've followed NB's method each time and ended up with a great dinner... as per the previous link, you have to be careful not to overcook. For a marinate, try...[p]We used to eat at a friends restaurant called Pat O'Briens (yes, his name really was Pat O'Brien). This was about 25 years ago and I always enjoyed the Teriyaki steak most of all. He moved on but did give me the recipe.[p]1/3 frozen pineapple concentrate (use the container to measure the other ingredients!)
    1/3 Teriyaki (or soy) ... preferably Kikkoman's
    1/3 burgundy (strong and cheap) [p]I have used this on several dinners including pork and beef... one of my wife's favorites.[p]Good luck and keep us posted.[p]

• Gfw
    Only got part of the recipe post... the original was from Hanker'n2Grill. The entire post can be found at the link.[p]
    [ul][li]Teriyaki[/ul]
  • JJ
    Billy,
    Different strokes for different folks. If your family likes them that way, then that is the perfect way to cook them. Your family are they only ones that matter.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Billy,
    IMO, country ribs are tough compare with spare ribs or babybacks...as they are not ribs. The meat has a totally different texture. Gfw mentioned the method I have been using...300-325 indirect/drip pan for 2.5-3 hours depending on thickness, and finish up direct. I finish with a sauce usually. A nice crust is usually formed even before applying the sauce. [p]The meat is tender, and very moist and flavorful, but not fall apart. Foil might give you that "break apart" texture you are looking for, but since the egg is so efficient with moisture retention, I never use foil unless in emergency (like having to finsh up a slow pork butt that is behind schedule). Many folks do use foil during part of the cook, and they like the results.[p]Hope that helps.
    Enjoy!! NB[p][p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Don ,
    I got disconnected the first time. I Smoked my first load of country style ribs this weekend on my new EGG. I used the direct method at 300 degrees as the book stated, although a bit skeptical. When the suggested time allowed was reached, I opened the lid, and they were beautiful! Then disater struck. The grease that had collected on the remining hickory chips got the air it needed, they burst into flame. I closed the lid, snuffing the fire, but needed to get them off. Finally I opened the lid and grabbed the rack with the rack pliers and lifted them off, but my wife and I still had to put out several of the ribs. Needless to say, there was excess carbon on a few, but it was still deliscious. Any suggestions, or should I go indirect? How about lower temperature and longer cooking time?

• JJ
    Don,
    Try 225* for about 3-4 hrs turning every 45 min. You can check for tenderness after about the 3rd turn. The lower temp should eliminate the flare up too. Forget the book and stay with the forum as it is much more accurate and with far greater cooking results. No need for you to have harrowing experiences as most of us here have already done that. Learn from our mistakes.