Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings suggestions....

Options
Bullhalsey
Bullhalsey Posts: 108
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, I have a bunch of wings I want to do just right for Saturday...what is the optimal temp, for how long, and do you go direct or indirect?  I have a bottle of fantastic Garlic Wing sauce I bought from the Capitol Street Market in Charleston, WV yesterday.  Do I save the wing sauce for last, or baste them throughout?  Thanks, I've just never gotten them right, want to be perfect Saturday for the games....

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Marinate for a couple days in Dichickos hot, then do indirect or direct according to your taste..

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Try not to overthink them. I open the package, hit them with a rub and toss on the grill. Raised and direct at 375 +or-.  If sauced, do it the last 10 mins.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Direct or indirect becomes a personal preference-I go raised direct around 350-375 for 45 mins or so.  (Indirect time and temps are about the same).  Sauce for the last 5-10 mins.  The real driver is the sauce/marinade. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Dry them off, Toss them in rub, raised direct at 400 for 10 minutes, flip, 10 more minutes, take off, toss in sauce, back on for 5 to 10 minutes. I do wings like this every week and they are always great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

DP is spot on. I always do em (after they are marinated with the rub of your choice, mine being Tsunami spin or DD for a fewwww hours) at ~ 300 indirect for 30 - 40 min each side and then baste or toss em with Q sauce of my imagination @ that moment and throw em back on for another 15 - 20 at a higher temp to carmalize but not burn.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Cazzy had them salivating all over the floor in Salado with his SpicyGinger Teriyaki Wings.  Here is his recipe (reprinted without permission from the Official Salado Eggfest Blog).

Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Wings
    Submitted by Cazzy

Ingredients needed

Chicken wings (whole or cut to flappers and drumettes)
    1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup Mirin Rice Wine
    1 tbsp fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
    1 tsp chili flakes
    *I use this as a base and multiply quantities based on need.

Making Spicy Ginger Teriyaki Sauce

In a sauce pan...bring soy, brown sugar and mirin rice wine to a boil and leave on heat till brown sugar has dissolved.  Stir regularly and throughout after boil to avoid scorching. Low heat and add ginger and chili flakes.  Simmer for 10 min while stirring regularly.  Remove from heat and refrigerate.

Marination
    Marinate wings for 24 hours in chilled marinade prior to cook (the chili flakes will rise to the top so shake it up). I use a gallon bag to marinate because I like to lay bag flat and flip after 12 hours.

Cook

Fire up egg and stabilize at 375-400.  I use a adjustable rig with a 16" drip pan and cook above the felt line.  Place drumettes on outside and flappers in the middle because it will be hotter on the outside due to the drip pan.  
    This is the anal part but I find it really makes the wings tacky and layers the flavor.  At 5 min, I baste with marinade, then again at 10 min.  At 15, I flip and baste and then baste again at 20 min.  This process is why I use a drip pan cause the marinade will make your lump smoke a undesirable taste into the wings.  Your wings will be at about 145-150 and should really start having a beautiful brownish red color.  Remove at 165...I check each one then remove.  Some may go over a lil but no worry...as you know, our eggs are very forgiving.

Using different soy sauces will change the flavor a tad and you can reduce/increase ginger and chili flakes based on preference.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I can vouch for Cazzy's wings, they are great. Have done them both direct and indirect, we like indirect better, still a little crisp yet tacky, but never overdone (charred).

Hi54putty said:
    Dry them off, Toss them in rub, raised direct at 400 for 10 minutes, flip, 10 more minutes, take off, toss in sauce, back on for 5 to 10 minutes. I do wings like this every week and they are always great.
    This also works very well
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

@Village Idiot: being the number 3 person in charge of the Salado EggFest Blog (that being behind Leroy and Judy) you have the full backing to post.

And Cazzy's wings were VERY good.......

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited August 2012
    Options

Cazzy had them salivating all over the floor in Salado with his SpicyGinger Teriyaki Wings.  Here is his recipe (reprinted without permission from the Official Salado Eggfest Blog).

Thanks for sharing and welcome back! I appreciate all the tips about wokking you provided in the past.

Options

I season them and then shake them in a bag with cornstarch. Do raised direct at about 275*

Then into hot sauce and butter

Then back to the egg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ChefBubba
    Options
    Hey Bull... Nice avatar!  I am in Huntington, Go Herd!
  • the_alchemist83
    Options
    I keep mine real simple.  Season with dizzy pig swam venom, grill at 400 F (or so) for 30 minutes (15 min/side), on the grate with the ps (legs up).  Pull, coat with franks red hot wing sauce and you are good to go.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Cazzy's are good.. Different, but still good.

My next go with wings will be hot hot. I like heat.