Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Ribs on the LBGE

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I usually cook my chicken direct on a raised grid around 350 or so and cook my ribs indirect around 250 using the 3-2-1 method. I have gotten a request to cook both for dinner this weekend. My original thought was to do the 3 hours on the ribs. After i wrap the ribs in foil, i can put those on the gasser since all I need when they are in foil is heat. During that time, i will switch to direct and cook the chicken. Then when i unwrap the ribs, i put back on the egg with the chicken and sauce them both. Any other suggestions or other ideas?
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    Why not just cook the chicken indrect at the same temp as the ribs.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with your plan.  I have tried chicken direct and indirect and it is great either way.  I usually go indirect.   So, if you don't want to bother with switching direct/indirect you could just cook the chicken direct.  

...but...I know how it is when you are cooking for others you might want to stick with what you are used to...so I say "carry on!". 

Only other suggestion is I would just put the foiled ribs in the oven rather than a gasser.  I never had a gasser that would retain heat very well so I would be concerned it was too much direct heat.  Even in foil...it might toast up the bottom of the ribs.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I prefer direct on the chicken but have also done indirect. I was a little concerned that the temp was too low at 250 to do the chicken indirect. Thanks for the tips though.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I think you have the solution, proceed exactly as you plan. The gasser will keep the wrapped ribs warm, using indirect on it - you know what your grill is capable of. Sauce 'em together - good luck and let us know how it comes out. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!