Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Pork Butt

Options
mjs2171
mjs2171 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
New egg owner here (2 months).  Have grilled quite a bit and done 1 pork butt (it came out pretty darn good, 9 lbs with 9 people over and nothing left but bone and fat).  I am planning on having 12 - 14 people over this weekend and wanted to do a brisket and a pork butt.  Is this a good idea to do 2 diff meats at the same time; or should I just stick to one or the other until I have some more practice down? 

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful hints!!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Wont hurt a thing. Cook them the same except for what temp you take them off. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • mjs2171
    Options
    Thank you.  Any thoughts on sizes? I was thinking about a 7 lbs each.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    7lb each would be about right for serving that many people. I, however, do not like cooking small briskets. I find that 10-13 lb packer briskets turn out the best. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • mjs2171
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    7lb each would be about right for serving that many people. I, however, do not like cooking small briskets. I find that 10-13 lb packer briskets turn out the best. 
    This should be a sticky on every brisket thread.  Well put.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    .. Speaking of briskets. Mine cooked to 200 was super good... But had a ton of fat on the inside of the cuts of meat? What gives

I'm guessing it was a whole packer and that fat layer is between the point and flat-thickest part of the flat determines when it's finished-then if not making burnt ends-separate the point and flat along the fat seam and slice and serve. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.