Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok dilemma

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seeing VI's Kung Pao Shrimp made me realize I really need to find a steel wok, or just finally bite the bullet and order from the wok shop (i just hate to pay that shipping when I should be able to find one nearby.).

I went to Chinatown in NYC, found a lot of stores with steel woks the single wooden, or metal handle, but am afraid it wont sit right in the spider on my large.

Found a bunch of metal woks with black plastic coated d-ring handles (definitely no good) . Finally the Mrs found and picked up a metal wok with metal d-ring handles (8.99 :D ), saw it at home, and it's CI!, and far from smooth, but she said she did look for the smoothest one in the pile. 

For those in the know, aside from the obvious finish difference between CI & steel, and the way the temps are conducted, is there any reason a CI wouldn't work, or should I just keep looking? I mean just order it.
Also would a 14" (that is the size CI I have now) pose any wokking problems on the large (as far as too much airflow, heat while cooking, etc....)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I think you are over analyzing it.  For $9, just try it and see if you like it. I don't think it matters whether it is carbon steel, or CI.  As long as it fits on your egg, you should be golden.
  • tazcrash
    edited August 2012
    tgkleman said:
    I think you are over analyzing it.  
    Won't be the first or last time.  :)

I got it this weekend, cleaned it (steel wool, and baking soda), got the gasser going, and baked it upside down oil coated for about an hour.  
    Still waiting for a chance to put some food in it.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if its the really thin light weight cast iron they are supposed to be really nice to cook with, if they are the heavey version with thicker walls they are not as good for stir-frying as they are heavy and have too much heat retention. it would still be good for making a butter shrimp and garlic sauce or something similar to pour over pasta etc.  the metal single handle 14 inch c/s wok is fine on the spider, i prefer it over the d-rings.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2012
    Taz,

According to Grace Young in Stir Fry To The Sky's Edge, traditional Cantonese cooks sometimes favor CI woks over steel.  However, they should be Chinese made woks.  American made CI woks are a lot thicker and take too long to heat up and cool down.  Also, they are heavy and unwieldy when stir frying.  If you got yours in Chinatown, I bet it's Chinese made.

I prefer a 16" wok on my Large BGE.  However, Richard FL prefers the 14", and he has years of experience.  I think you are fine with the CI and the size.  Now, cook something !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    VI, good to see you. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    VI, good to see you. 
    Thanks, Doc !   :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    Thanks All. 
    VI, it is Chinese made. I didn't open the bag, and it was very light, hence I thought it was a steel wok. I didn't realize it was CI until I checked against pics on the web. 

OK, negotiating the cook for tonight. 
    Still need to do the ginger/green onion cook

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    14" or 16" works well on a large BGE.  I have several,but my go to wok is a 14" with a wood handle to get better control and the back side small handle has been cut off.  The handle allows me the control to flip the food like in a frying pan. When I get into 18"/20" I find that my old hands are not happy with the weight and I can feed 8-10 with a 14" with some advanced planning
  • +1 on the 14" with wooden handle.  Light and easy to use and can do large volume in batches.  I really don't want to wrestle a bigger one with hot little metal ears to grab.
    My actuary says I'm dead.