Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Preparation- Come on Man

LongboardR
LongboardR Posts: 101
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
The cars are gassed, got 60lsb of ice in marine cooler (and plenty of beer), got 3 flats of water, gutters are cleaned, boat is secured...but...BGE is fired up and country ribs are on, mixed up a batch of brine and got two young birds soaking in brine and ice...and just popped first beer. More beer and goodies to fire on to the egg. I think that counts for hurricaned prep! Not sure whats ahead but were gonna eat good! Now where is the blender?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Not staring down the barrel of a hurricane so I hope you dodge that bullet-but I offer the following (all in good fun)-first BGE house rule-light the fire-time for an adult beverage.  Food on-time for an adult beverage. Supervisory role-beverages as wanted/required by the duties.  Hope you are spared the force of mother nature-she can be quite the ----- :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My dad lives on the water in Gulf Breeze. Hes going to get the south east side. (thats the worse part for storm serge.) His house is on 13ft stilts but I bet he has 5 feet of water in his yard. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • defCon5
    defCon5 Posts: 16
    I experienced many of these monsters of mother nature while living in Naples, Fl for 15 years. '04-'05 season was brutal. I hope that you are spared the violence this storm may bring.
    However, one of my fondest memories of the hurricane aftermath was sitting in the driveway, generator purring, cooler full of beer, and the grill loaded full. Kind o like camping at home. No damage to our home so I had not a care in the world.

Good luck!
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    Every store in town is out of lump but I can still by gas. There may be more eggheads than I know.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Where ya't longboardr?

It's looking like New Orleans is gonna get something...  just need to wait until the forecast track gets more accurate, prob tomorrow morning.

We're always prepared.   Just need to pick up the lawn projectiles.
    BigSteve said:
    Every store in town is out of lump but I can still by gas. There may be more eggheads than I know.
    Did you try Pinch A Penny next to Winn Dixie in Breeze? they carry a few brands.

• nolaegghead
    I'm down to one bag of lump plus whatever is in the egg.  Fortunately I have a huge pile of oak that I could always burn into charcoal.  Lots of meat.  Lots.   
    Be safe everyone

+1. Keep the coals dry, keep on Egging and stay safe.
    Hope it moves left or right...The track right now is right up the mouth of the Mississippi over my house in New Orleans.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    If landfall is near new orleans, it's almost 7 years to the day since Katrina......gives a whole new meaning to the 7 year itch.....ya'll be safe.......t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • We had Irene visit us last year - tropical storm by time it hit us but still packed a punch and we were without power for a few days.  Our prep consisted of turning over the patio furniture, filling a cooler and moving the egg closer to the kitchen door, then lighting it.  We ate really well that week!

Hope you avoid the worst of it.
    Mamaroneck
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Saw this earlier. Hopefully it will add some humor to the situation....

In all seriousness, everyone in Isaac's path stay safe and dry. 

Hurricane Alert
  • I just moved to Sarasota from Coral Springs and we didn't get hardly anything. I did wake up at 1:30 this morning and moved my BGE under the covered area of our pool...I could have done this at a decent hour last night but I convinced the wife we needed to cook steaks.   :>
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Had to move the mini but I dare Isaac to move the XL.  I'm about to do some pizzas after so many great posts about pizza in the last few days.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52

BigSteve said:

Did you try Pinch A Penny next to Winn Dixie in Breeze? they carry a few brands.

I actually bought all of the ozark oak they had.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Feel bad for you guys there. Dont know what we all can do to help.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    So, I'm taking a shower and the power goes out.  I get a little slug of cold water because the tankless heater needs 'lectricity.  The standby generator kicks in automatically, takes about 1 minute or two to start and switch the load.  Runs the whole house, every circuit.  Unfortunately, it doesn't run the shop (manbearcave) in the back, so I had to run an extension cord to power the fridge back there.

Talked to a few friends and from what I gather from the news, outages are widespread.  I was expecting the power to go off, but not until this morning when we're getting the hurricane force winds.

The neighbors hooked up a couple of extension chords from my deck outlets to run their fridge and a window unit. 

Phones, internet, cable is all up.  Checked my droid hotspot - it's working so I have internet backup. 

Now we just gotta hunker down and ride this sucka out.  Tomorrow, as soon as the wind dies down enough, I'm throwing on two butts.
    Wishing you all the best! Stay safe.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Stay safe and dry. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone there.
    Thanks ya'll, I appreciate it.  I'll post some pictures of the aftermath.  I'm not looking forward to cleaning up from this mess.  We're on the oldest settled land in town (because it was the highest).  No worries on flooding here.  I'm worried about everyone living outside of the levees.
    Here is a pic of my dads house in Gulf Breeze, FL from earlier today. image
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    NOLA, hang on brother. I know a class 1 hurricane aint much but, it aint nuthin either. 
  • nolaegghead
    I appreciate it travis.  This one will suck because we'll be just east of the eye.  After riding out Katrina on the sixth floor of a glass building, I think this one will be like a vacation.

Hope your dad didn't loose anything valuable.  What was the tidal surge there?
    hisssssssss! the south east side sucks the most. Pop lost everything that wind and water can take during Ivan. He went without power for about 3 months that time(except his generators). 

Not sure what the tidal surge was, his house is on 13ft stilts. The bottom floor blew out during Ivan and he never re-built it. 
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121

Here is a pic of my dads house in Gulf Breeze, FL from earlier today. image

By the pic, there isn't much left...couldn't resist!
    =)) =)) =))
  • I appreciate it travis.  This one will suck because we'll be just east of the eye.  After riding out Katrina on the sixth floor of a glass building, I think this one will be like a vacation.

Hope your dad didn't loose anything valuable.  What was the tidal surge there?

NOLA,

Are you still online?

• nolaegghead
    Back online.   Been sitting out on the front porch watching the horizontal rain.  Now back inside, we were starting to get soaked with the mist.