Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Bacon

egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a demo cook Saturday at a new BGE dealer and want to do some bacon with applewood to be served with biscuits for the morning session. Never tried it but I think it would be pretty darn good. I will try it at home first, however. My question is what to cook it on as well as time, temp., etc. I was thinking of maybe hanging the slices on the members on the rib rack with a drip pan. Any other, and probably better, ideas?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bacon2.jpg
    <p />egret,
    Might I suggest cherry wood instead. A great guy from the Burg told me how to cook bacon.[p]bacon1.jpg[p]Cook indirect with a drip pan on the placesetter at 400-450. If the grease hits the fire, look out.
    I start off with a few slabs of bacon then adding accordingly, and moving bacon around. It usually takes me 45 minutes to 1 hour for 1 lb. This was thin sliced but try thick. You are going to end up with very crisp bacon and no greasey taste. I usually cook bacon to go with chicken sandwiches or bacon burgers.[p]That setup is placesetter, grid, pan then raised grid.[p]Good luck.[p]Mike

• egret,
    You might also try Cherry wood. I did this a few times and it
    was very good. I would not use a flavored bacon such as maple
    since its flavor and wood smoke flavor may clash. Use
    an unflavored bacon. I laid out the strips on a cooling rack
    and put it in the smoker over a drip pan. Can't remember the
    cooking temp but think it was in the 275 - 325 deg.F range.
    Good idea about trying it at home first. Good luck.

• Car Wash Mike ,
    My set up is the same ... works better when it lays flat. I use the residual heat from a T-Rex cook to make bacon while I eat the steak for dinner. I use cherry, apple or hickory. All are very good. Go for the thick sliced bacon it seems to hold up the best. 375-400 for me.[p]Great bacon shot ... mmmmm chrispy bacon.[p]Just for variety you should try making the biscuits in the egg as well. You should have a hot clean fire by the end of the bacon cook. [p]Doug

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    PICT0005.jpg
    <p />Smoked Signals,
    I have done mine in cast iron (Keep Fire around 350-400 If grease is smoking its to hot, I do allot of frying on my egg including Spam.)(BGE Flame Jacket on fire away )[p]

PICT0003.jpg
    [p]newsig.png
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    haywyre,
    Are you using a ????spacer/extra firering or???? to raise the grid????[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    New Bob,
    Yeah Its my old cracked one. Its cracked only on one side. I place it in there upside down on top of my old grate. then place my 2nd grate on top of it. With this setup it give me a raised grid and directs the hest to a more concentrated area. Like a Jet Thruster ;)[p]newsig.png

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Thank all of you for your great suggestions and pics. I don't have any cherry wood so will have to use a substitute. It should be good, anyway, no matter what........