Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need More Smoke!

DrRob03
DrRob03 Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone-

Got a Large egg Memorial Day weekend and have been having fun cooking everything in sight.  Question for all those with more experience (i.e., everyone!).....I've done a couple of low and slow cooks (baby back ribs, a couple of pork shoulders, and a turkey breast) which always seem to come out with a pleasant hint-of-smoke flavor, but I've yet to make something where I can REALLY taste the smoke.  I've tried using different smoking woods (hickory for the pig, and apple for the turkey) and try to make sure that I spread it evenly throughout the lump to have steady smoke throughout.  I burned my gasket the first pizza that I tried to make....not sure if that matters or not......I don't see any smoke escaping between the top and the bottom.

Any advice?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    load your lump how you like it. Then load 8 or 10 fist size chunks on top. That's what I do for heavy smoke.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Do you like mesquite? If so, try some mesquite lump and double dose it with mesquite chips/chunks. 
    This will tell you if you really want a "smoke" bomb or not. 
    Another idea is to not rub your meat with oil or lots of rub, this will impeded the smoke from reaching the meat. Once you have it smoked, then season. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Not being a smart ass but I would say if you want more smoke, add more wood.
    George
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Someone on this forum once posted the following drawing on how to get great smoke. Great advice. Thanks Stike.  
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    use chunks not chips,  different woods offer different intensities of flavor: mesquite most intense (best for beef),  next hickory, oak, pecan, then fruit woods.

meats absorb smoke differently,  poultry is the easiest to get smoke flavor.

also check the wood. you don't want it overly dry.  it should feel heavy for it's size, then it has some moisture still in it.  if it feels like a piece of balsa wood, throw it out.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    My parents have pecan trees. Whenever a big limb falls out I cut it in about 4" long pieces. I also cut down a hickory tree at my hunting property about 4" in dia and 4" long pieces. When I am ready to put the food on I put the chunk in the middle on top. One chunk usually lasts me about 3 smokes. I will be smoking up the whole back yard.