Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I wanna Wok and Wall all night... and part of every day

Options
brewbq
brewbq Posts: 52
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I know that isn't the way it's supposed to go, but I am super eggcited about my new Wok!  Just got a 16" wok in from ceramicgrillstore.com and it is awesome.  Well, at least it looks awesome.  Just spent the night seasoning it, and I'll be trying something later today.  One question for the world of Wokking Eggers.  If I'm using a spider from ceramicgrillstore.com, should I be wokking legs up or down?  Sorry if this has been beat to death, but I did a search and found nada.  

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Legs up so the wok isn't sitting so deeply in the egg...easier/safer to stir...still gets plenty hot.
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Options
    Cool, thanks!
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Ring up and legs down so the wok is higher in the egg (I think that is what Mighty Quinn meant).  Have fun, wokking on the egg is awesome.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I meant...thanks for the clarification yellowdog.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Can someone post a picture of that?   I think I might have mine upside down.....I just got mine last week and have already made 3 different stir fries :)
    Large BGE

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    couple pointers.

- don't use metal to stir the food, it will scratch off the seasoning,
    - start with a good steak fire, then tweak with experience,
    - prepare the food in very small bits size pieces,
    - small amount of oil, then aromatics, meat, hard veggies, followed by soft veggies,
    - keep the food moving,
    - use the side of the wok to hold food when needed.

- you'll need a good pair of welding gloves for hand protection.
    - most folks use the spider in the up position.
    - most Americans falter at wokking by not cutting the food small enough and/or overfilling the wok,  gotta fill up that big wok right, ah....wrong.
    - if using rice, gotta go old school, no minute stuff, and needs to be as moisture free as possible, so best to cook a day or two ahead and keep in fridge to dry.

google "wok recipes" and you'll find a bunch of stuff.  my two favorites in the wok are even asian.  They are shrimp scampi and fajita veggies.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Here it is out of the egg... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos In use.... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos