Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood fired sirloin tip well underway

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks JJ for the idea. I haven't been this excited in a while.
Got me a real nice fire goin with some hickory, maple and oak branches from the woods. Added some big pieces of taste o texas mesquite chunks (8 inches x 4inches x 1 inch.) Man that stuff burtns hot!! Seared the 4 pound tip on 2 sides (seared very quickly!). [p]Removed the meat to a plate, added some more wood and let that get going good and to get a nice coal base. Set up a drip pan with water (they had water in caveman days), and added the extended grate, sirloin tip on top, and closed the bottom vent to 1/2 inch. Immediately got a good dose of smoke when I slowed the airflow down. Cruising along steadily now, smoke even whisping out of the hole where the BGE thermometer used to proudly sit.[p]If I had to guess, I'd say dome temp is up there pretty good right now, but will slowly drop until next time I have to add wood. My clothes smell like I am camping. This is GREAT!!!![p]A hardy caveman "uuuuugh" to all.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    No lump? Just wood? No thermometer? [p]Keep us posted![p]B~F

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Yep. Sho be lookin good rot now.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Darn, I am heading south -- wish I could come visit and see that. Good luck with it. Let me know if you need more rubbish - I mean BBQ fuel.[p]Tim
  • The Colonel
    Options
    Nature Boy, Go for it man. You are my hero. Did you bury your egg in the ground? I mean, isn't that the way the REAL MEN who made our country great did it?
    yours in the egg--The Colonel

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks for the positive thoughts! This is amazing. Been on for about 3 hours. Still haven't added any wood. Opening the lid for 30 seconds results in the fire jumping into flames...so it is burning nicely. [p]Did a skewer test 10 minutes ago, and it is nearing the finish I believe. I guess I'll know more when I slice into it. Looks like barb-q sammiches for lunch.[p]NB
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]That all sounds great! I think that has to go on the must try list! I have defrosted a London Broil last night and will probably do something interesting tonight. I may try something similar, but will use the toys (polder, thermometer, rubs, etc.)[p]Smokey
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds terrific. I used an all wood fire once that consisted only of hickory chunks. As I recall, this was the fuel ST, Finger Lickin' Tom, myself, and a few others used the evening we barbecued during Huricane Floyd last September 99. It was raining too freakin' hard for any of us to want to run out and buy lump so we just used the wood I had laying around![p]Anyway, I experienced the same thing you mentioned where every time I opened the lid the wood would shoot out some flames. The food was particularly smokey that evening, if I recall correctly.[p]Q'in up a storm (pun intended),
    Cornfed