Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time - Salmon on the BGE

tommysegg
tommysegg Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Seafood

We did some Salmon on the BGE last night.  Everyone loved it, so I thought I'd share it with the BGE Forum:

Preparation:

Salmon:  "Wild" Coho from Whole Foods (Found some on sale!)

Brushed with EVOO.  Seasoned with either Citrus Grill or some Alder Wood Salt we picked up in Seattle @ the Pikes Place market.

The Cook:

BGE @ 375 - 400 F Dome, Direct

Royal Oak with Alder Wood Chips

Skin Down: 4 min

Flipped:  Pealed skin, seasoned, 3 Min  (Be careful with brushing with EVOO at this point...some dripped onto the coals and I had a bit of a flame up.  Won't do this next time...)

Flipped again:  3 - 4 min

Served with grilled corn, baked red onion, and mango salsa (mango, avocado, red onion, red pepper, cilantro, EVOO, & salt)

This one was a winner with the family!

Comments

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Wow, looks good !

Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Wild is the only way to go, looks great. Pikes is right down the road from the house, love it for all the goodies.
    Seattle, WA
  • Looks great!  I cooked up some King last night.  Makes me jealous.  I've been having a hard time finding wild salmon this year in my area.  Have you ever tried starting with the skin side up?  Supposedly, it lets the oils from the skin penetrate into the fish to keep it more moist.  I've never done it myself but came across it again last night.

Also, you ever tried the salmon jerky from Pikes?  Had it for the first time last year.  One of my must do's now whenever I go to Seattle.
  • tommysegg
    tommysegg Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

Thanks.

Good question on starting with the skin up vs skin down.  I don't know how this impacts the moisture, but your point makes sense.  I'll make a note to try this next time.

We live in S. Carolina.  We were in Seattle this summer and did the Savor Seattle food tasting tour @ Pikes Place.  Salmon jerky was one of the goodies that we had.  It was delicious.  The tour was also how we came across the Alder Wood Salt.  Definitely would recommend this to anyone!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "Supposedly, it lets the oils from the skin penetrate into the fish to keep it more moist."
    seems wishful thinking

it's probably more about whether you want smoke on both sides, and a cooked surface (like a crust or color) on both sides. 

the only thing that dries out meat is overcooking. skin on, skin off, don't really protect it more or less less. just keep an eye on temps
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante