Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Maintenance

Big Daddy 59
Big Daddy 59 Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a xtra large egg that sits on an uncovered patio. I went to use it the other day and found mold growing inside. Obviously a cleaning is in order. What do you reccomend I use and how can the growth be prevented?
Thanks
Big Daddy

Comments

• Is it ok to cook in the rain?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Fire it up and run the temp up to around 500*F on the dome and let it cook all the mold out.  I would hold that temp for a couple of hours and you should be fine.  WRT rain-BGE doesn't care only the operator. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for the info. Is there anyway to prevent it from coming back, other than cooking on it everyday?
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I would keep the bottom vent open and keep the ceramic vent cap off.when the egg is not being used.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    QDude has a good option-but I have gone 9 days w/o a cook and no mold issues so regular use will keep it from recurring.  Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I always keep the vent cap on and the bottom vent closed tight when not in use.  Only time I've ever had mold was when I didn't get the bottom vent closed completely and moisture got in.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    The only problem with leaving the rain cap off is that rain gets down in the charcoal that you have left over.  

I had mold problems at first when I didn't cook on it as much, but now that I have been using the Egg more the problem has gone away.  

When I did have the problem, I would just light a hot fire as mentioned before, and I would take a wire brush to the areas where the mold was.

I have pressure washed the inside a couple of times in the spring after it sat all winter without use.  I don't have to anymore though since I cook all winter now.

Basically the more I use it, the less problems I have had out of it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    I have a xtra large egg that sits on an uncovered patio. I went to use it the other day and found mold growing inside. Obviously a cleaning is in order. What do you reccomend I use and how can the growth be prevented? Thanks Big Daddy
    Just use your egg more!  Just like everybody else has said, just run a hot fire.  Regular use will help keep it dry & mold free.  I've done pizza two weeks in a row at 600 F+ that essentially does a clean burn, the lump doesn't last long at that temp but everything comes out looking pretty clean!  I bit the bullet and purchased a cover right away for mine.  Sometimes it's a pain waiting for it to cool down before I put the cover back on, but there are certainly worse problems to have.
  • Thank you all for the info. Just like everything else it needs to be used more often. Since it sits out in the rain it is more susceptible to growing mold. I will need to start using it more often.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Your answer is simple, and previously stated, just use the egg more.  My egg has set out, uncovered, for 15 years and I've never had an issue with mold.

Fire that baby up.