Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow

Options
defCon5
defCon5 Posts: 16
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning!

I am a relatively new BGE owner and would like to ask a question directed to the more skilled out there.

I have had great success on my large BGE to this point in all endevours including Pittsburg style thick cut Ribeyes, 3 to 5 hr 225 degree slow cooks with various cuts of pork, a variety of cuts of chicken (best ever), but I have not performed any indirect methods.

With this in mind, I do not have a plate setter and am getting ready to start an 8 hr 225 degree 10 lb butt. I have trimmed the butt and injected it with my top secret marinade. My dry rub is heavily brown sugar based and I do not want the bark to become overly dark. Can I use tin foil on the grate to direct some of the direct heat away from the meat until I can aquire a plate setter ?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    that rub will get dark just by being in that environment.  it's supposed to be dark though, so no worries.

if you use foil to act as a barrier, you still need space between the meat and the foil. another rack or something.

if the meat is sitting on the foil, you'd be frying it. the foil will absorb the direct brunt of the coals, and anything in the foil receives it too. only with an airspace does it work as a barrier. otherwise it's actually a conductor

and you won'tbe done in 8 hrs at 225.  i'd go 250, and considering bumping to 275, 300 if you are timing this for guests or something
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • defCon5
    Options
    Thank you! I read the pulled pork post while waiting and saw your comments there were spot on. I brought the temp up to 275 or so. Will post results and review when finished.

Thanks again for your help!

• defCon5
    Options
    300 for 6 hours then double wrapped with foil and doused with brown sugar sweetened apple juice. Best pulled pork ever!!!

• defCon5
    Options
    @stike Thanks for your help!