Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@ Lousubsap - Your Roasted Salsa

scooter759
scooter759 Posts: 257
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

LouSubCap - there was a post a while back about salsa's and I bookmarked your roasted recipe. Now that hatch chile's are available here I wanted to make a batch. Do you skin or cut anything before you roast them or just afterward. Mainly curious about the onions.

Thanks.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN

Comments

• scooter759

Hey eggheads, I guess what I really wanted to say was I've never roasted veggies in this fashion. I would appreciate input from anyone whose done this before.

Thanks.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Not sure of recipe, but if I were roasting veggies for salsa, I wouod keep everything whole with skins on, EXCEPT the onions. Those, I would peel and either half or quarter depending on size.
  • Not sure of recipe, but if I were roasting veggies for salsa, I wouod keep everything whole with skins on, EXCEPT the onions. Those, I would peel and either half or quarter depending on size.
    That's the way we do it too. When we do hatches like this time of year, we roast until blistered and start to blacken in many spots, then put them in a ziplock while still hot and let them steam for 10-15 min. Then the skin litteraly peels right off. Same as MQ with the onions. I take the paper off, cut in half (or just throw the whole thing in the lump) and roast them that way

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Oh....and hopefully you're using fresh squeezed lime juice. Half the limes and grill those cut side down for a little bit too before squeezing.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Late to the party but bigphil obviously has the link-Never have roasted the limes but will have to give that a go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • scooter759

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I ended up roasting everything whole with a little evoo @ 400 direct. Salsa turned out really good, next time though I'm gonna half the onions. Didn't think about grilling the lime either. Will try that next time too.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Not sure of recipe, but if I were roasting veggies for salsa, I wouod keep everything whole with skins on, EXCEPT the onions. Those, I would peel and either half or quarter depending on size.
    That's the way we do it too. When we do hatches like this time of year, we roast until blistered and start to blacken in many spots, then put them in a ziplock while still hot and let them steam for 10-15 min. Then the skin litteraly peels right off. Same as MQ with the onions. I take the paper off, cut in half (or just throw the whole thing in the lump) and roast them that way

This.  I became a chilehead after living in Albuquerque 5 years.  Lost my local source for roasted chiles about four years ago, but found a new one this year; can hardly wait!   B-)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    What type of chilis are you guys using? This sounds incredible!
  • scooter759
    What type of chilis are you guys using? This sounds incredible!

In this case it was Hatch chiles. Great Flavor. First time I had them was in San Antonio. Walking in to Central Market and they were fire roasting them outside in huge round wire basket. The smell was incredible. But you can use whatever, depends on your heat preference.