Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! My pork butt's a bit fatty...

splitsurround
splitsurround Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked for 12 hours @ 230-245 degrees. It's great, but after I let it sit for an hour or so I wrapped the whole thing in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. The next day, when I pulled it, there was a small amount of fat interspersed in it, which made some of the pork bit...slimier than I would like.

So...my question is this: is there a perfect way to cook it that lets ALL of the fat render out during cooking? Is putting it in the fridge not helping the situation (by congealing the fat)?

Any leads are much appreciated,

split

Comments

• Folks-

would someone mind point me in the direction of a posting that discusses "the plateau"? I have a feeling that this is exactly what I need to know more about.

thanks, and I hope y'all had a happy 4th (I missed my egg and "had" to eat someone else's ribs, all the while thinking about how I'd do them differently. Yes, folks, I think I have a problem, but hey--the frist step is admitting it, righ??)

-split
  • The plateau is one of those "things" we deal with easily. Butts and shoulders are the big culprits. As they cook they get to a point where the connective tissue and the collegan start breaking down turning a nasty tough piece of meat into tender tasty pulled pork.Tthe plateau can start, usually, around 150º and can last up to several hours (5 hours in one incedent last year). The meat temp may even drop a couple of degrees in the process. The meat is going through a huge change and just sucks up the heat to deal with the connective tissues and collegan.Rrelax, nature has her own way of helping us enjoy good eats. I have had a few cooks where I never even noticed the plateau and, and like I said above, had them last 5 hours. Once through the plateau the internal temp will jump pretty quickly and the end of your cook will be in sight.
    As for your first question on the fat. Most of us "pull" the meat while it's still hot. In the process you get rid of those chunks of fat that haven't rendered out. I don't think ALL of the fat will render out. I had one shoulder that came of the Egg at 225º internal and there was still pockets of fat when I pulled it. I hope this helps. I'm sure others will jump in and give you some ideas too.
  • Thanks Sundown. Good to know that I can't realistically expect "all" of the fat to leave, and also that I should pull it while it's still warm, rather than leaving it in the fridge overnight.

Still..smoky and tasty as hell though!

-split
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Thanks! You preempted another butt question from me.