Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Success! 3rd Time is a Charm!

the_alchemist83
the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did pizza for the 3rd time.  Was nervous as some of you probably read my brother spilled some soapy water on my stone.  i rinsed it with copious amounts of water & scrubbed with a steel brush.  Anyways, I've tried two different crust recipes prior to using my friends tonight.  I've had his before but really wanted to try out my own first.  Well, his was the best and it's very simple.  Ready in 1 hr 20 min at the shortest time & produced great results.  Egg was right around 600 F for mine (the pepperoni) and had cooled off for my wife's more traditional.  Did too long of a pre-heat but wanted to drive off anything remaining on my stone.  Here are some pics, crust was crispy on the bottom & chewy in the middle.  Doesn't get much better.  Thanks for the look & happy weekend egging!

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks great care to share the recipe for the crust 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Looks like you nailed it!
  • looks good...wanna share friend's recipe? I tried a certain recipe today and was not all that impressed-possibly my own technique...none the less, looking for an alternative dough recipe.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    looks good...wanna share friend's recipe? I tried a certain recipe today and was not all that impressed-possibly my own technique...none the less, looking for an alternative dough recipe.
    I'd like to try the recipe too if you're okay with sharing. Thanks!
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Looks Great.  I've not done a great pizza yet, on mine the crust turns out pretty tough.   But it maybe the store bought pizza crust, Mama Mary's.   Looking for a good crust recipe too.
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • I'll double check with him tomorrow to make sure he's okay with me sharing.  He's spent a lot of time developing & perfecting it.  He's not an egger (and probably will never be, but that's a different story all together).  I'll ask him & if I get the go ahead I'll post it up!
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    Hey Guys,
      Got the go ahead to list the recipe.  It's real easy and really only takes about an 1 hr 20 minutes total time to make.  So here it goes:

Ingredients
    Antimo Caputo Tipo "00" Flour
    Yeast (I've been using King Arthur Bread Company Yeast)
    Italian Sea Salt (I use Ittica d'OR)
    Sugar
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Water

Directions:
    In a mixing bowl (We have a kitchen aid) add in 2 1/2 cups of flour, 2-3 teaspoons of sugar & 2 teaspoons of salt.  Mix them (I just used a whisk)

Next add in 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast, 3 tablespoons of oil & add in 1 cup of Water (it's important that the water be around 120 F to activate the yeast).  Knead in the automatic mixer for 15 minutes.  Over the course of the 15 minutes add in an additional 1/2 cup of Tipo "00" flour.  After 15 minutes, remove the dough from the bowl, coat the bowl in olive oil (& dough) and allow to rise for at least 1 hour at room temp covered with saran wrap.

After 1 hour, remove dough, cut in 1/2 and knead on a tipi "00" flour covered surface and place the other have in the bowl.  You should be able to get two 12-13" pizza crusts out of your whole dough ball.  So one crust per half.  I was running my egg right around 600 F for my first pizza, took about 6 minutes on the stone.  PS was legs up, with grate on top & then stone on the grate.  My wifes took longer since my lump was running out (started it too early) but still had great results.  Cripsy on the bottom, chewy everywhere else.  Enjoy!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Thanks for sharing and thank your friend as well 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Great looking crust. Have you ever let this dough go for 24 hours before making pizza?