Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer Brisket on a Small Egg

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

The other day in this thread http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1220097/#Comment_1220097 @Netzapper asked if a whole brisket could be cooked on a Small Egg.  I'd never thought about cramming a packer onto my Small but after the question was asked, I thought why not look for one small enough to fit and give it a shot?

Last weekend I found a choice grade 10.05 lb brisky that looked like a good candidate so I brought it home.

Today was the day for the cook so after trimming about 2 lbs of excess fat, it was rubbed, draped over an upside down Lodge cast iron 1 QT kettle and smoked away over some hickory. Length of brisket was 16" and the Small grid diameter is 13" so I chose to drape it to fit.

It was easy to get internal temps with the brisket up high in the dome:

No foiling, spritzing, or mopping on this cook.  It had shrunk enough to remove the CI kettle near the end and I ended up flipping it fat side up to allow the ends to sit up a little higher and cook a little more (the center being high up in the dome was already probe tender while the thin end was not - definitely backwards from what I'm used to when cooking flat on the grid):

Pulled when the flat was probe tender.

FTC for about an hour during which I cooked up some corn on the cob on the Small (still plenty of lump for this).  Brisket removed from the cooler and sliced:

For this cook, the lump was piled mid way up the fire ring and here's what was left of it (mix of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and some Lazzari Oak). 

It was a fun cook and I'm glad the Small passed the test but I don't think I'd try a packer on the Mini! ;)

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Very nice cook Reg!!  Awesome pics too!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I am going higher in the mini next time I smoke some brisket and might try 4 lbs. I am shocked by the 2.32 per lb price. Here in Seattle can't find brisket for under 4.99 lb even costco price, I swear we pay a price for livin in the city.

BTW great cook and thanks for the attempt.
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    Options
    BTW, way to show peeps what our small can do.  Good stuff bro!  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Outstanding cook.  Gotta love the willingness to give it a go.  And best part-you got a great result.  Look out-with that all the XLBGE owners will get jealous :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed post. Now I'm inspired to try that on my small.
    About how long did the cook take?
    Jeff
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Very nice cook.  I will remember the draping method =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Wow, amazed that you got it in there, looks likes touchdown for sure!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

That is a nice piece of work!  I don't think I would have thought of draping the brisket, but I'm glad you did.  I learned something new today, thank you. 

In the back of my head, I hear Chris Farley singing "Fat man in a little coat!"

Flint, Michigan
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    You are amazing.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Good work, it looks very tasty. Thanks for the helpful post.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I am going higher in the mini next time I smoke some brisket and might try 4 lbs. I am shocked by the 2.32 per lb price. Here in Seattle can't find brisket for under 4.99 lb even costco price, I swear we pay a price for livin in the city. BTW great cook and thanks for the attempt.

Have you checked Cash & Carry? I hear they are part of the same company as Smart & Final. Smart & Final sometimes has some Choice briskets mixed in with the Select grade for the Select price (as was the case with this one).
    BTW, way to show peeps what our small can do.  Good stuff bro!  

Thx Cazzy! Your post on your Small cooks while camping was epic!
    Outstanding cook.  Gotta love the willingness to give it a go.  And best part-you got a great result.  Look out-with that all the XLBGE owners will get jealous :)>-

Thx Lou! I have an XL too so hopefully that gets me a pass! ;)
    Thanks for the detailed post. Now I'm inspired to try that on my small. About how long did the cook take? Jeff

Thx Jeff! Cook was about 5 1/2 hours (2 hrs @ 230, 3 1/2 hrs @ 320 - temps taken at the cooking grid & managed by my Stoker).
    Very nice cook.  I will remember the draping method =D>

Thx! You've probably seen folks use a V-rack for the same effect in larger Eggs. The CI kettle was all I could find that wouldn't get me in trouble with my wife. ;). Some of the fat cap stuck to the kettle. It was a pain to clean & I'd look for a smoother/easier to clean option if I did this again.
    Wow, amazed that you got it in there, looks likes touchdown for sure!

Thx Lizzie! I wasn't sure it was going to fit but figured worst case, I could've fired up another Egg.

That is a nice piece of work!  I don't think I would have thought of draping the brisket, but I'm glad you did.  I learned something new today, thank you. 

In the back of my head, I hear Chris Farley singing "Fat man in a little coat!"

LOL. Chris Farley left us all way too soon. :( Well, I learned that technique from my local eggspert Egg dealer! Speaking of whom...
    You are amazing.

There he is! Thank you Obi-Wan.
    Good work, it looks very tasty. Thanks for the helpful post.

Thx! It was quite good & I ate more than I should have. :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Wow that looks great! I was thinking about getting a small this may just have made my decision, good post!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Bump for the best small cook I've ever seen! Now I want brisket!!!
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Take that mini!  L-)
    Gittin' there...