Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain + overnight low'n'slow = ???

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So doing birthday party for son tomorrow around 3. Got an 11# and 5# shoulder. Just lit grill, waiting for it to get to temp and stabilize before putting on meat. Thankfully got lit and lid down but now it's pouring rain. Per TWC 50% all night until about 7. I don't have a roof or anything for grill but I pushed it beside the house and thankfully gutter sticks out far enough to cover daisy wheel. I plan to do around 275-290. Will FTC the smaller one until the larger one is done. One thing that sucks with rain is I can't sit up outside drinking while it cooks. I do not have an electric probe, I just have to check mine until reach temps. Does anyone anticipate any problems with the rain? Any special tips or tricks?
Boom

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You should be fine. I've cooked in hellacious weather with no issues at all. I've seen guys make cool little covers for the DW our of sheet metal roofing vents and coffee cans but I've never needed one. I still think they are a good idea to have but my guess is that you'll be fine.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I have a 6" roof vent cover.  Fits perfectly over the DW.    $5.99 at a hardware store.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Daveh1976
    Options
    It should hold temps like a champ.  I would suggest facing the vent door away from the prevailing wind just in case.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want to cover soon but I think tonight I'll be ok. Temp stabilized around 260. They have been on about an hour. Ha large is barely big enough. They are over the edge of the plate setter as is. Got a couple bottles of Stubbs for tomorrow. My first time using. One spicy and one hickory bourbon.
    Boom
  • JasonP
    JasonP Posts: 9
    Options

I have a 6" roof vent cover.  Fits perfectly over the DW.    $5.99 at a hardware store.

+1 Run up to HD or Lowe's and you don't have to go to sleep worrying about a huge downpour. Unless your planning on stayin up and hammering a bottle!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tinfoil hat Two cents of aluminum foil crimped in the shape of a tent on the upstanding handle of the daisy
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tinfoil hat Two cents of aluminum foil crimped in the shape of a tent on the upstanding handle of the daisy

did someone say tin foil hat?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

did someone say tin foil hat?
    Now now C-T be nice ;)

There is enough room on this forum for everyone... Knowledge is good no matter the source. At least for me it is...

Fair enough.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    :))

Come on C-T I'm just playin'

Though I am mostly ignant of all the ins and outs...

no worries on my end Hap. Just bustin on everyone a bit. Stike and I maintain a peace like the settlers and the indians. We are all good here......for now
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    10$ CT does some whoopin... Colony style

I do not recgnize the original colonies. Succed!
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I think my thermometer is off it read right at 260 all night and I checked the 11lber after 12 hours and it was 215!!! Hopefully it isn't too dry. Will pull in a couple hours and spray with some apple juice/apple vinegar combo. I expected it, at hour and a half per pound, not to be done until closer to 12. People aren't eating until 3!!! I have everything FTC right now. Any suggestions to still make this a successful presentation?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Repost, to get back to the top
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    So I pulled everything around 11:30. Put in stone casserole dish in over. Sprayed with a little apple juice/vinegar mix. Let sit until just now where I put oven at 170. Hopefully will have serving warm temp without drying at 3:30. Sound about right?
    Boom