Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mother spider with hundreds of babies

Comments

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    yeah, who's Gary?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    OMG! OMG!  I just got the tracking number on my Swing Grate!!!!!! {super duper smiley face!!!}
    Ok, fine. I'll embrace the OT stuff.

Anyone wanna talk mattresses?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've always wanted to be a mattress tester....
    Tempurpedic mattress is tied with my Egg for my all time favorite purchase. They both are completely as advertised. That mattress has solved most of my back problems. Highly recommend.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Hi54putty said:

Tempurpedic mattress is tied with my Egg for my all time favorite purchase. They both are completely as advertised. That mattress has solved most of my back problems. Highly recommend.

Totaly, they have such large claims, I didn't think it could be true. It is, all of it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    honest question.  what's the new 'cooling gel' in some of these mattresses.  are tempurpedics hot? and if so, does the gel stuff actually work? my wife sleeps with the A/C on in december for crying out loud.  i hear the tempurpedics can be 'hot', and there's no way i could sell her on one if that's the case.

what gives?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tempurpedic mattress is tied with my Egg for my all time favorite purchase. They both are completely as advertised. That mattress has solved most of my back problems. Highly recommend.
    Totaly, they have such large claims, I didn't think it could be true. It is, all of it.
    +1 - temperpedic is to beds what high-speed is to dial-up, or what DVR & HDTV is to watching TV - it's a complete game changer. 

In all my research, there have only been 2 complaints that I've seen:

1. they are expensive
    2. the mattresses hold heat (ie, body heat) in, and can be uncomfortably hot in the summer

In regards to being expensive - basically, ya get what ya pay for - and being as we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping, I'd say it's a good investment. 

As far as being hot in the summer - personally, I've never noticed it being any hotter than a regular bed, and I'm in Northern CA, so it gets fairly hot - I think if you keep your bedroom cool, it's a non-issue (at least for me, anyway). 

Bottom line - temperpedic ROCKS!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I think the gel/cooling material is all marketing crap from other makers. I haven't tried it so can't say for sure. I have had my tempurpedic for 6 years and have never been any hotter on one side of my body than the other.

I am at the beach right now and my wife and I were talking last night about how we couldn't wait to get back in our bed...to actually get a decent night's rest.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    I think the gel is an attempt to chip away at some of temperpedic's business. 

My mattress is not hot. I live in central Texas and its been in the triple digits for about 3 weeks now. No problems with excess heat. 

As far as expense, they have king size for as low as $1800 all the way up to 15k. They come with a 20 year warranty. Their threshold for replacement is 3/4 of an in depression. If my old Serta had that warranty, they would be giving me a new bed. 

HH said it perfectly, temperdic is to beds what HDTV is to TV. Its that big of a difference. 
  • stike
    sounds good. thanks.
    the gel thing sounded like BS, just wanted to see what you thunk.

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    +1 on mine not being hot. I live in the south where it seams to stay 90 plus 9 months out of the year. I've had mine ten plus years and its still going strong. The only down side is you will exercise more because there is no "bounce back effect" :D
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Same same.  We were told they held heat, but I haven't noticed it.  I di have to get used to kind of rolling out of it though.  With an old spring mattress I could just sit up and swing legs out and hop up.  Its no big deal, just different.  That being said, my younger nieces and nephews arent happy with it.  They cant jump on it like a trampoline
    :))
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
     Don't know about Tempurpedic mattresses but did sleep on a sleep number bed at a hotel last weekend couldn't find my sleep number so I slept like shat!  Definitely don't like Sleep Number beds...by the way any thoughts on why I can't get my temp up?
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I just spent $1,900 on a new king. I really wanted tempur-pedic but I only pay cash and it was just a bit out of my comfort range. But my goal is a new mattress in 5-7 years and it will be a tempur-pedic. Slept on one once and loved.
    Boom
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    This is truly a clash of the titans, like watching the treasurers of the science and math clubs clash in the octagon.

If you guys want to fight, sit down, STFU and wait until Big Green Egg decides what weight division you qualify for.

Dont hold you breath though. BGE doesn't have a Gnats Nut weight level, and you guys have got some building up to do to qualify for a no holds barred rumble at that level.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    This is truly a clash of the titans, like watching the treasurers of the science and math clubs clash in the octagon.          If you guys want to fight, sit down, STFU and wait until Big Green Egg decides what weight division you qualify for. Dont hold you breath though. BGE doesn't have a Gnats Nut weight level, and you guys have got some building up to do to qualify for a no holds barred rumble at that level.

So what mattress do you recommend? And what did you think of the spider?
    Boom
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    anyone have a sleep number bed 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stike
    rubmyrock. thanks for weighing in. 

• stike

• Rubmyrock

Rubmyrock said:

This is truly a clash of the titans, like watching the treasurers of the science and math clubs clash in the octagon.

If you guys want to fight, sit down, STFU and wait until Big Green Egg decides what weight division you qualify for.

Dont hold you breath though. BGE doesn't have a Gnats Nut weight level, and you guys have got some building up to do to qualify for a no holds barred rumble at that level.

So what mattress do you recommend? And what did you think of the spider?
    Simmons Black Beauty Rest. Perfect for post spatchcocked turkey L-tryptophan food comas. I powerlift for Team USA and a great mattress is a must.

My opininion of the photography and subsequent discussion? Sad, juvenile, and uninspired, much like the rest of this graveyard of sophomoric humor.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2012
    stike said:

Careful bro...don't anger the hulk
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • rubmyrock. thanks for weighing in. 

HULK SMASH!!!!!  =))

I do have a question for the other Temperpedic owners though - was recommended to get the vinyl cover for it, but didn't ( didn't wanna feel like I was sleeping on a bag).  Anyway, do you guys have the vinyl cover?  If so, do you recommend it?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • travisstrick
    I got the water proof temperpedic mattress cover (it's kinda like vinyl). I was suspect at first. After sleeping on it, I can't tell it's there.

I have had problems with other mattress covers and thrown them away. I give this on a thumbs up.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Trav, yeah, I think that's what I was talking about - couldn't remember the name (been several years now), and maybe it's not vinyl (not sure what it's made of then, cuz I thought it was vinyl).  

Basically, it's the cover that they recommend cuz the ONE weakness the Temperpedic material has is water.  For those of you thinking about getting one, do NOT spill water on the mattress, cuz apparently the water can soak into the mattress & adversely affect it.  From what I recall, they said it makes the Temper material where the water was spilled more "dense" and/or starts breaking down the Temper material.  

Anyway, we got our bed used, but have been to Temper dealers on occasion to get accessories, pillows, etc, and at the time, I wasn't sure if it was just an attempt from the retailer to upsell or not, and decided (in my mind) that I didn't wanna be sleeping on a (what I compared it to) garbage bag.  So, I took my chances & didn't get the cover.  

Just wondered if it's a "must have" or if I was justified in not getting it.  Thanks.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Got the cover and if you have kids it's a must have the first time they puke or pee on your bed you will be glad you did! Can't tell it's on. Love our temperpidic.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    My Simmons is 29 years old, and a recent Consumer Reports shootout and this thread have convinced me to pull the trigger on a Tempurpedic (it won the shootout, the "best buy" was the third-place bed, from IKEA).  
    Thanks folks!  
    :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• travisstrick
    Botch said:

My Simmons is 29 years old, and a recent Consumer Reports shootout and this thread have convinced me to pull the trigger on a Tempurpedic (it won the shootout, the "best buy" was the third-place bed, from IKEA).  

Thanks folks!  
    :)
    29 years old? EW GROSS
  • travisstrick
    HH, my bed came with $200 of "free" temperpedic goodies so I went ahead and got it. It sleeps well and is defiantly a protective covering.
  • Rubmyrock
    cazzy said:

stike said:

You girls realize I'm just aggravating and seeking an indignant rejoinder??? Don't you??? I don't want to come across as a cyber bully. I love me some egghead brotherhood and mean no disrespect to my targets of disrespect. FYI, they put expiration dates on mattresses for a reason.