Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to purchase some lump charcoal

BGEGP
BGEGP Posts: 47
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need to purchase some lump charcoal, I live in Gig Harbor, Washington. 
Any advice?

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Kroeger @ qfc or fred meyer. Just as good as my last bag of BGE brand.
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

You may want to see what's available and then check out the below link (great intro site for a things ceramic).  Some of the reviews are dated but at least you can some info-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Lump favorites vary as much as posters-just try some and see what works for you.  BTW-Kroger brand (and many others) is made by Royal Oak which also supplies BGE lump-much cheaper.  Saves $$ so you spend on after-market toys.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    do you have a local ace hardware? they can get you wicked good weekend warrior, great stuff
  • BGEGP
    do you have a local ace hardware? they can get you wicked good weekend warrior, great stuff

I do have an Ace hardware, they carry Cowboy lump.  I'll have to ask if they can get Wicked Good

Thanks
  • do you have a local ace hardware? they can get you wicked good weekend warrior, great stuff

I do have an Ace hardware, they carry Cowboy lump.  I'll have to ask if they can get Wicked Good

Thanks
    You can order it online and have it shipped to your store.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    They should be able to get it for you.  You can also order it online & have it delivered to your local store and avoid shipping.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    If you have Wal-Mart, they carry Royal Oak. At least they do, here.

Tim
  • Humphrey's Charcoal can be delivered to South FL for $38 for a 40 lb bag and it's great stuff. 

Like others have said, ACE Hardware can order WG WW. Should be around $20 a bag but worth it. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I buy RO from Walmart, but next time I'm going to try the Ace/Wicked Good.  IMO Cowboy is crap.  I also like Best of the West.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I just bought a bag of RO from Walmart and it sucked. I've bought the 17.6 lb bag and it was great. Not sure what the difference is. I think I'll stick with WG & Humphreys.

Has anyone tried Groveland Orange Tree lump?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

OK here is a good deal:

Ace Hardware online coupon for 15% off an order of 150$ or more.

AFFAUG12

Enter this on check out and pick free ship to local store.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i bought 6 bags of wicked good on line and had it shipped to local store.  it is the best.

I have found that I get best consistant results if you use the same lump all the time.  You will know how to control the heat consistantly.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    if you're a member of the ace rewards in store program, they routinely send out $5 off purchases of 20 or more, or 15-20% off. I usually stock up on wicked good when i get a 20% off coupon, they come in right around $16 a bag after tax
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I just bought a bag of RO from Walmart and it sucked. I've bought the 17.6 lb bag and it was great. Not sure what the difference is. I think I'll stick with WG & Humphreys.
    What was wrong with the RO from Walmart?  If it was all small pieces and lots of dust it was probably due to the employees playing kickball with it. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Humphrey's Charcoal can be delivered to South FL for $38 for a 40 lb bag and it's great stuff. 

Like others have said, ACE Hardware can order WG WW. Should be around $20 a bag but worth it. 

I agree. This stuff is the best I've ever used.  I live in PA and it's available at my local True Value.  Well worth the cost to ship.
  • I just bought a bag of RO from Walmart and it sucked. I've bought the 17.6 lb bag and it was great. Not sure what the difference is. I think I'll stick with WG & Humphreys.
    What was wrong with the RO from Walmart?  If it was all small pieces and lots of dust it was probably due to the employees playing kickball with it. 
    The pieces were decent size but it was like they were hollow. It didn't last very long at all. 
  • Went from to to wicked. Wicked is like twice as dense.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    The Wicked Weekend Warrior from Ace online is becoming a favorite of mine.  I used to use only the RO from Wal-Mart but the WWW is much more dense in my opinion and now, easy for me to get.  We do not have many options where I live.

Is there a review of the Kroger lump on Nakedwhiz?  I could not find it.  Is it made by the same people as RO and BGE lump?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Sorry, did not mention, that code I posted above is for Wicked Good weekend warrior lump and I orderd 10 bags. Got 15% off.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I can't get any other brand other than RO where I live. Selection is zero, and the RO goes away after the summer is over. I have to stock up for the winter months. I have a surplus right now, and it feels good. Hopefully towards the end of summer the store will try to clear it out at a discount, and I can scoop up a bunch.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Has anyone tried Groveland Orange Tree lump?

I have. It was almost as dense/long burning as Wicked Good WW. Not sure what price you can get it for but price I paid was as much or maybe a little more than the WW so I only tried one bag as I didn't see any advantage.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Thanks. Saw it on bbq guys. Just curious.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the ace tip. I have one on my block, didn't know u can ship online stuff free. Will do it for the wicked good. The Fred Meyer had the kroegers and best of the west available, I opted for kroegers but will try the BOW sometime.
    Seattle, WA
  • jafenske
    jafenske Posts: 11
    I live in Port Orchard. We are practically neighbors. I know it’s about a 30 minute drive for you. But, the ace hardware here carries Wicked Good in the store. The Egg dealer in Gorst carries Wicked Good in their warehouse.
  • rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    I just ordered the Wicked from Ace.  Looking forward to picking it up and trying it out.  I've recently tried the Full Circle lump from our local Super 1 store.  It had good mix of large chunks and mid-size pieces. 
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • BGEGP
    Thanks everyone for your help, this forum is great!

jafenske thanks for the info. I'll go over and pickup a bag WG for this weekend.  Then I'll try ordering some more for later.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Aqua Quip also sells wicked good I bought 3 bags a couple of weeks back and it came out at around $16 a bag.
    Lynnwood WA