Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to season cast iron dutch oven?

Options
rdmudd
rdmudd Posts: 24
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just bought a new CI DO.  I tried seasoning it by the instructions that came with it and I am not real happy with the way it has turned out.

How do yall season your new cast iron cookware.

Comments

• Daveh1976
    Options

Crisco the thing up and bake it.

Oil it up and heat it up and keep spreading the hot oil.

Cook some bacon in it.  Cook some really fatty ground beef in it.

Just keep oiling it up.  Been doing the same thing lately with a new lodge logic.  It was "preseasoned" but I just have it sitting on the stove with some oil in it.  Every time I walk by it, I just take a paper towel and wipe that oil up the sides.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2012
    Options

Many light coatings of grapeseed oil.  Building the foundation is critical, so is time and patience.  Tried just about everything else and grapeseed is the most consistent with getting the uniform, black seasoning.  500 degrees for 1 hr.  Some of the Lodge type CI I have gotten by with 3 seasonings.  I shoot for at least 6 seasonings before use with the vintage stuff.  Anymore it's around a dozen.

Then most importantly....use it.

Each piece "takes" the oil differently, even if you had identical pieces.  Right now, I am fighting with a 12" Wagner 1891 griddle that has been seasoned and used at least two dozen times.  It's still blotchy and needs attention.  By far...the worst one I've done.

Tried using paper towels, but small visible paper towel pieces in the oil made me search for a better option.

Old t-shirts are great for seasoning CI and cleaning guns.  Old kitchen towels work well also.    ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Clean well, then put in oven for an hour at 200 F.  This dries and opens up the microscopic pores of the iron.

Coat well with flaxseed oil (a drying oil - food grade linseed oil - it polymerizes the best).  Rub all the excess oil off so it feels almost dry.  You don't want any runs or they'll harden like a paint.

Bake in an oven at 500 F for an hour. Turn off the oven and let the cast iron cool with the oven.

You should have a smooth, deep black seasoning.

You can repeat this process several times or stop there.  Carbon steel takes more treatments than cast iron.

See http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Cooks Illustrated supposedly seasoned identical items with this method and using other oils as recommended by manufacturers (come with cast iron pots and pans).  Then they ran them through a dishwasher.  Supposedly the linseed oil seasoning was unharmed while the other oil seasoned items lost most of their seasoning.

From a science point of view, it makes sense.  Anyway, take this for what it's worth - another method.
    Options
    I have used CI for a long time and love it. The thing about seasoning them is you have to remember they are porous and soak oil into the pores. Use a high temp oil like peanut oil or bacon grease. Before the first time wash it with soap and water with a stiff brush. Yes. Some come with motor oil to prevent rust. Apply liberal amt of oil. Heat till it is smoking and apply some more oil, then let it cool by itself. Do not wipe the oil. As the CI cools it will draw the oil down into the pores. After completely cool, apply more oil and heat again, apply oil and let it cool. Repeat a few times and you will see that the next time you heat it, oil from the pores will come out and make it a non stick pan. Never wash it in a dishwasher, apply oil frequrntly before it cools down.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Good info in this thread.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It is not too difficult.

1) Coat the vessel with vegetable oil inside and out, including the lid.
    2) Cook with it.
    3) Clean with hot water and a detergent-free scrubbing sponge, only. You know, like a ScotchBrite sponge.
    4) Dry it by putting it on the stovetop on medium heat. Allow to cool.
    5) Re-coat with vegetable oil. Store.

Repeat, repeat, ...

Tim
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    when done cooking, and when still hot, i wipe with paper towels.  even water in a hot pan will remove some seasoning, so i avoid water unless something is truly stuck on

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    When done with a hot cook take any cast iron that will fit in your BGE; wipe it with oil; stick it in the BGE while it cools down.  My 2 Qt. Dutch oven is perfectly seasoned after a couple trips.  Something special about the gook in the egg air.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Lots of scientific info, makes you wonder how great grandma every got that favorite skillet so black and shiny.