Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick is down

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I did ribs and was getting some really high grill temps on the ET-732 grill probe. Today, I tested it and it reads 233F in the house. I've maybe used it a dozen times but I know I exposed it to excessive heat for a few seconds one time. So I'm guessing if I tried getting it replaced under warranty they'd say I cooked it.

Where's the best place to get replacements? Do they have to be Maverick 732 specific or are there other options?

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I haven't needed to replace my maverick probe....yet.
    But when I did for my weber, I called weber directly, and they sent me a new probe (Which BTW, does not work with the maverick).
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    You can do a web search - they are sold individually (food or pit probe).  The price is all over the place and it is probably more about which site you trust.  I've seen them individually as low as $12 but they add $7 or $8 in shipping charges.  Prices seem to change daily.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Is Goose still OK?
    XL BGE
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I paid $20 shipping included on amazon. Total ripoff.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
     I've maybe used it a dozen times but I know I exposed it to excessive heat for a few seconds one time. So I'm guessing if I tried getting it replaced under warranty they'd say I cooked it. Where's the best place to get replacements? Do they have to be Maverick 732 specific or are there other options?
    I'd give them a call and explain your situation.  I've hit excessive heat once and it read HHH until  it cooled off and then has been fine.  They have been very good about  supporting their products.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    My new one reads HHH on the pit probe and I haven't even used it yet. I sent them an e-mail 2 days ago & haven't heard a thing yet. Dont like getting a new product that don't work, seems to happen more often now that every friggen thing is made in China!!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    My new one reads HHH on the pit probe and I haven't even used it yet. I sent them an e-mail 2 days ago & haven't heard a thing yet. Dont like getting a new product that don't work, seems to happen more often now that every friggen thing is made in China!!!
    bud812, I had the same problem which was solved when I was told to push the probe plug into the receptacle all the way in.  I had only pushed it in until I felt resistance but to make it water resistant, they made the receptacle really tight.  So push hard and see if the HHH disappears.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I did that & it worked but if I barely move the transmitter it comes back or goes to ---. I think I should be able to move the thing with out having to put a rubbr band around it to hold the plugs in or reset every thing every time I bump it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I ordered a replacement directly from them. Got one food probe and one pit probe for $30 including shipping. I figure that's a profit of about $28 to Maverick to replace a product that broke awfully early in its life cycle. Oh well, makes my life easier.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Just curious if you wrapped your probe leads in foil when using?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    No
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC