Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dealing with flashback

Luvmyegg
Luvmyegg Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made some steaks and chicken drumsticks on the egg today. They were fantastic (even the pickiest kids there came back for more). I can't get that sear down though. When I open the egg at 700, even after burping it, the flames still shoot up before I can get the steak flipped. Any suggestions?[p]Barbara

Comments

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    luvmyegg,
    I learned the hard way too!!
    Don't open until the temp. has a chance to drop.
    I just finished a 2 min. per side sear on some 3 inch thick filets and I am waiting 20 min. to finish them off. The Egg will cool down to about 400 in 20 min.
    Somebody else will also give you some ideas!!!![p]mule

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    luvmyegg,[p]That's not a flashback -- it's just a flareup. A flashback is more like a small explosion. If the flames are simply raging away nicely, you're in no real danger.[p]Wearing very long gloves and using long comments, just reach into the flames, flip the meat, shut the lid gently, and close the vents almost all the way, until the temperature is where you want it.[p]No problem, if you're properly equipped. Hang in there!

• Dan is right what you had was a flare up. You will know a flash back when you see it and hear it. I got me some grilling gloves from Ace Hardware. It was one of the best purchases I have made for my egg. You can find them at many other stores as well. I would highly recommend you get some unless you like the smell of burnt hair on your arms. Also with gloves on you can grab racks and do other things as well without worrying about burning yourself.
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Hatchling,[p]I checked them out and they look great. One question: Are they long enough? They seem only wrist length.
    Thanks for all the reassurance. I will try those steaks again.
    Barbara