Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Wheat Bread...

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
As per my instruction to my wife, ( which is very rare,) please make some bread dough and we will have fresh bread tomorrow morning for breakfast. She bounded out of her chair and made the dough. I know have her recipe and will try it some time myself. It is kind of nice to have some one else to the work though. So the  bread sat all night and this am and fired up the large, indirect to 450 and we used a DO. Preheated that for about 20 minutes. I put the little green feet on the PS and then cooked the bread for 40-45 minutes.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Pretty nice looking crumb on that bread!
    XL BGE
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    you now have the recipe but we do not.  share if you wish.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Oh man that looks good. Mind sharing the recipe?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice work, love homemade bread.
    Seattle, WA
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Sharing is good. Here it is:
    11/2 cup white flour
    11/2 cup multigrain flour
    112 tsp vital wheat gluten
    1/4 tsp quick rise yeast
    2 tsp salt
    11/2 cup + 2 tbs water, room temperature

In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add water and stir until blended, dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, 18 hours is preferred at room temperature.
    Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface an place the dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on it self once or twice..Cover loosely with plastic wrap and rest for about 15 minutes.
    Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coast a cotton towel with flour, cornmeal, put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour or cornmeal.Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for 2 hours. When it is ready the dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with your finger.
    About 1/2 hour before dough is ready, have the egg up to 450, indirect heat, so PS in legs down, and then I use the little green feet and put the DO on the feet. We use a Dutch Oven with lid. It needs to pre- heat for the 1/2 hour. Now take dough and roll it into the DO, seam side up. Shake the pot a couple of times, be sure to use heavy gloves. The bread will straighten itself out, Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake another 15 minutes or till done. It should just pop out of the DO. Cool it on a rack. 
    There you go, enjoy. Now where is that jam?
    ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Good stuff! Bread looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Hey ya caz, ur wings were a hit on Sunday. What else ya got that is outta this world,  :P
    Large, small, and a mini
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Thanks, putting in my list!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wonderful looking bread!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings