Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a good rib recipe

Options
Joder
Joder Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 2 packs of pork loin back ribs (6 slabs) from Sams and a large BGE. Going to cook em for some friends tomorrow. I'm psyched and ready to cook. There are so many variations of rib recipes to pick from. I've got all day to think about it. What do y'all recommend?

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    joder,
    I do mine at 225-250 for five hours, using three golf ball sized lumps of hickory placed to burn early on. Smoke after the first two hours tends to make them a little bitter. Normally I'll remove the membrane from the back side (use a paper towel to help grip it). Paint on a thin coating of yellow mustard, bone side first, and then sprinkle on your favorite rub. Flip 'em over and do the meat side the same way. Once seasoned don't touch the meat side again or they won't be competition pretty. Set 'em in the egg and smoke away for two hours. Check to see if the bark is set. If not, let 'em go until it's firmly stuck to the ribs. Once it's set get your plastic spray bottle and put in two cups of cider vinegar, one cup of Captain Morgan's, and half a cup of Dale's Steak Sauce. Mix it all up and commence to spraying the ribs about every 20 minutes until they're almost done. Let your last spritz sit on there for ten minutes or so before you take them out. Once they're done you can slice them into individual bones, or wrap them in foil and towels to let 'em rest a spell. If I rest 'em I'll give them one final spritz before sealing up the foil.[p]Be careful who you share these with. You may never get 'em off your porch again. This recipe consistently turns out ribs that I, as a barbecue judge, would rate a 9.0 - 9.5 across all three categories. Choose or make your rub carefully. I generally use Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom from Dizzy Pig, or Witchy Red from Ken Stone (Bluesmoke on this forum). These guys do all the work and I get the compliments. ;-)[p]Hope this helps you out with your dilemma. Enjoy them bones!!

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Wow, That sounds perfect!
    I've got some Cruzan Rum and a homemade rub I'll use.
    Thanks,
    Joe