Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT; inthe OT forum. Just discovered Olympics channel in 3D

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited August 2012 in Off Topic
Yeah. Late to the party. Finally ditched the 20 year old trinitron tube and got a beautiful LED hdtv with 3D at christmas Just discovered we have a channel with the olympics in 3D Fun fact. I only see 3D when it's an effect, not in real life. So it may look 'cool' to most people, but to me it's like when a deaf persin gets a cochlear implant. Profound. You people are lucky to see like this all the time
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Please elaborate. Do you have some type of pre-Christopher Columbus disorder?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    Nah. Obgyn torqued my eye when delivered. Tiny deviation from 'normal'. So technically crosseyed, but not at all perceptible. Just enough to make me see double, oh, i dunno, 24/7

So no stereoscopic vision. Unless, for some reason, with 'false' 3D systems (movies, books, etc.)

Any ophthalmologists might know it as S.O. palsy

I was written up a long time ago because normally you just go functionally blind in one eye. But i have equal dominance. Can switch dominance.

So the 3D thing is, to me, pretty profound when i see it.
  • cazzy
    Glad to hear that you were blessed enough to keep vision in both eyes.

It's Awesome that a technology actually benefits ya too. I'd imagine Avatar in IMAX 3D was a marvel to you. I still hold that as the best 3D movie yet...with The Amazing Spiderman in a close 2nd.

• stike
    Avatar was pretting amazing in Imax
    Our LED isnt edge lit. Each section dims, too. Black is jet black
    Great picture
  • cazzy
    Edge lit is horrible so good for you not going with one.

My entire life, I've been anti-plasma, but I fell in love with the Panasonic 65VT30 and I honestly don't regret my decision. The picture is amazing and the 3D is impressive too.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    We just bought a 3d tv on Thursday of last week. Its awesome. But since im coming from a plasma tv.. Im not used to the "flashlighting" on edge lit tvs

I have a Samsung back lit 3d led - what is flashlighting?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    LG led tv for over a year I think I've used 3 d a total of 30 mins, not that into it. It didn't make the tv that much more expensive so not worried about it.
    Yeah the led tv has flashlighting affect on the edges , which they say is why they can make em so thin. Not better than a plasma, I hope my Kuro never dies but adequate 2nd tv.
    Seattle, WA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nah. Obgyn torqued my eye when delivered. Tiny deviation from 'normal'. So technically crosseyed, but not at all perceptible. Just enough to make me see double, oh, i dunno, 24/7 So no stereoscopic vision. Unless, for some reason, with 'false' 3D systems (movies, books, etc.) Any ophthalmologists might know it as S.O. palsy I was written up a long time ago because normally you just go functionally blind in one eye. But i have equal dominance. Can switch dominance. So the 3D thing is, to me, pretty profound when i see it.
    Interesting.  I had RK surgery years ago (pre LASIK) and had 20/20 vision.  A couple years later had an unfortunate run in with the edge of a cardboard box, which lifted a 'V' shaped flap on my cornea, which had to be reattached twice.  During the day things are ok (with glasses to help with the astigmatism) however at night, I lose all depth perception.  I actually have double vision in one eye with the other closed.  Never made the connection between how much better the 'false' 3D looks, but now that you have pointed it out I 'see' what you mean.  Might have to look for a 3D TV. I've learned a lot from your Egg advice, and now getting vision advice.  What next?
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Tjcoley said:

stike said:

Nah. Obgyn torqued my eye when delivered. Tiny deviation from 'normal'. So technically crosseyed, but not at all perceptible. Just enough to make me see double, oh, i dunno, 24/7

So no stereoscopic vision. Unless, for some reason, with 'false' 3D systems (movies, books, etc.)

Any ophthalmologists might know it as S.O. palsy

I was written up a long time ago because normally you just go functionally blind in one eye. But i have equal dominance. Can switch dominance.

So the 3D thing is, to me, pretty profound when i see it.

Interesting.  I had RK surgery years ago (pre LASIK) and had 20/20 vision.  A couple years later had an unfortunate run in with the edge of a cardboard box, which lifted a 'V' shaped flap on my cornea, which had to be reattached twice.  During the day things are ok (with glasses to help with the astigmatism) however at night, I lose all depth perception.  I actually have double vision in one eye with the other closed.  Never made the connection between how much better the 'false' 3D looks, but now that you have pointed it out I 'see' what you mean.  Might have to look for a 3D TV. I've learned a lot from your Egg advice, and now getting vision advice.  What next?
    I had PRK in 07. Before, I couldn't see past my finger tips. PRK is LASIK but instead of cutting the cornea, they grind it off. It hurts much worse but there is no scar or old wound. I now have 20/15 in both eyes. There is not a day that goes by where I don't thank the stars. PRK and buying a temperdic mattress are the two best decisions I've ever made.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I had cataract surgery in my left eye a month ago, and went from 20/70 (non correctible) to 20/20.  Having my right eye done tomorrow.  Modern ophthalmology is fantastic.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Nah. Obgyn torqued my eye when delivered. Tiny deviation from 'normal'. So technically crosseyed, but not at all perceptible. Just enough to make me see double, oh, i dunno, 24/7 So no stereoscopic vision. Unless, for some reason, with 'false' 3D systems (movies, books, etc.) Any ophthalmologists might know it as S.O. palsy I was written up a long time ago because normally you just go functionally blind in one eye. But i have equal dominance. Can switch dominance. So the 3D thing is, to me, pretty profound when i see it.
    I had PRK in 07. Before, I couldn't see past my finger tips. PRK is LASIK but instead of cutting the cornea, they grind it off. It hurts much worse but there is no scar or old wound. I now have 20/15 in both eyes. There is not a day that goes by where I don't thank the stars. PRK and buying a temperdic mattress are the two best decisions I've ever made.
    ot in the ot, agreed on the tempurpedic they are life changing.  We have had ours a week and I have never felt better in the mornings.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    ot in the ot, agreed on the tempurpedic they are life changing.  We have had ours a week and I have never felt better in the mornings.
    ot in the ot in the ot - Thiinking about a new mattress - did you compare Temperdic to sleep number?  Heard good about both.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• travisstrick
    I did. I chose the temperpedic couse it felt better to me in the store and I know several people who have them and love them.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    I've got one too (Temperpedic). After so many years of carrying an 80+ lb. ruck around on my back, it is amazing.  I'd never go back to a regular mattress. 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I live in the stone ages so I have no idea what 3d tv looks like, but I really laughed pretty hard when I read the thread title. (You know, with all the bug photos and all recently.)  =))
  • stike
    Zackly. Peeps be crabbin about stuff even when it's in the OT forum. So i wannid to be clear. :))
  • travisstrick
    Zackly. Peeps be crabbin about stuff even when it's in the OT forum. So i wannid to be clear. :))
    We could make a song with that title. "peeps be crabbin" then we could make a dance called crabbin and make millions of monies. Stike, you're the choreographer. 
  • I live in the stone ages so I have no idea what 3d tv looks like, but I really laughed pretty hard when I read the thread title. (You know, with all the bug photos and all recently.)  =))

I dunno what you are talking about, but did you see "Dinosaurs Among Us" ? It brought me to tears :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    Choreogrqpher is like a momo, right? Zat what yer sayin? I aint afraid to dance.

"Eye gotta be meeeeeee........"
  • U_tarded
    @dlk7 I manage a furniture store so I have tried everything from air beds (select comfort) to waterbeds to anything in between.  My main thing about air beds is air compresses like springs so it will always feel hard unless you take all the air out.  Water and foams conform and I hate waterbeds because you can't move them.  Tempurpedics are heavy as all get up ( I think my king size weights in over 250) but it is the perfect measure of support and soft comfort.
  • U_tarded
    @dlk7 I manage a furniture store so I have tried everything from air beds (select comfort) to waterbeds to anything in between.  My main thing about air beds is air compresses like springs so it will always feel hard unless you take all the air out.  Water and foams conform and I hate waterbeds because you can't move them.  Tempurpedics are heavy as all get up ( I think my king size weights in over 250) but it is the perfect measure of support and soft comfort.
  • travisstrick
    Outcast, what do you do? I'm us army infantry. I got the new mattress for the same reason.
  • stike
    so much for not digging the OT discussions, travis
    :))
  • travisstrick
    so much for not digging the OT discussions, travis
    :))
    It's a losing battle. I decided to just go with it. 
  • Former Warrant Officer here. CH-47D Pilot
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Outcast, what do you do? I'm us army infantry. I got the new mattress for the same reason.
    I was a Bravo too, just 18 not 11.  Now in the private sector, security stuff.