Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Liver

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I've got a couple packs of beef liver in the freezer. What do I do with it?!?!? On the egg of course. Don't wanna resort to frying it.

XLBGE 

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I love liver, don't like the smell associated with frying it so we never have it at home.  If you figure out how to make it on the Egg please post how you did it.  There is a local greasy spoon that makes excellent liver so when I have a craving for it that is were we go.

Gerhard
  • I've only eaten fried chicken livers. Gonna thaw a package and see what it looks like.

XLBGE 
  • gerhardk
    There is a place in the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto that makes great chicken livers and hearts, I think the people that run the place are from Poland, their potato pan cakes are another of my favourites.  When we go to the market I am always sad that I can only eat one meal since there are so many things that I like there.

Gerhard
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    place near me makes a baked meatball out of it, its the only way ive been able to eat it. maybe ground and mixed 50/50 with a hot italian sausage, bake the meatballs and wash it down with shots of ouzo to hide the taste
      :)) ithink that might actually work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Down here in Mx, we sauté them with lots of white onions, use a cast iron pan, grill some finely chopped jalapeños, maybe some garlic and thats it. Great tacos with corn tortillas!
    Just make sure you dont overcook them.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • place near me makes a baked meatball out of it, its the only way ive been able to eat it. maybe ground and mixed 50/50 with a hot italian sausage, bake the meatballs and wash it down with shots of ouzo to hide the taste
      :)) ithink that might actually work

Hmm mixing it up doesn't seam that bad. This is more a way to get rid of it than anything. It came with our cow... Still can't find the tongue tho..

Down here in Mx, we sauté them with lots of white onions, use a cast iron pan, grill some finely chopped jalapeños, maybe some garlic and thats it. Great tacos with corn tortillas!

Just make sure you dont overcook them.

Felipe
    This actually sounds really good. Kinda treat it as fajita meat. I don't know what the cut will look like. First packet I've thawed.

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    OK, someone clue me in.  I love chicken livers, but have never ordered beef liver at a restaurant, because I did not want to risk a ruined meal.  Now, does beef liver taste like chicken liver?

I would really like someone to have a BGE recipe, but maybe I'll take this as a challenge.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gerhardk
    I only eat calf's or baby beef liver regularly, the older the animal the stronger the taste.  Calf's liver is nice and mild and very tender as long as you don't over cook it.  I like it with fried onions my wife goes with bacon.  Chicken livers have a kind of creamy texture were calf liver is has little bit of chew to it.  My least favourite is pork liver, I think people that hate liver tasted pork liver first and then refused to try liver ever again.

Gerhard
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    If the Liver chunk you get is too thick, make fine slices of about 1/16, makes it easier to cook.
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I've done FlyingTivo's method (cast iron) but, I've  also used a piece of HD Foil (so the liver won't fall through the grate) until the liver becomes a consistent piece of meat.  Then remove the foil and finish cooking.  You can grill the onions until they start to get tender and then put them on the meat until done.  I definitely agree with Gerhard about the calf liver vs older beef.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Well this will be older beef. I'll post pics of it tonight

XLBGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Well this will be older beef. I'll post pics of it tonight
    if you make the little meatballs on a stick, moink balls would be a good choice with the bacon wrap, dipped in sweet bbq sauce and cooked somemore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Well this will be older beef. I'll post pics of it tonight

if you make the little meatballs on a stick, moink balls would be a good choice with the bacon wrap, dipped in sweet bbq sauce and cooked somemore
    I've got some bacon pieces and some sausages left over from pig shots. Was thinking about grinding it all together and making balls. Might be a good way to just not waste the liver.

XLBGE