Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Meat Grinder and Sausage Attachment!!!!

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up the meat grinder and sausage attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer today. Looking for fun new recipes and ideas for sausage recipes: pork, chicken, beef and turkey all welcome. Also, want a good blend of meat for burgers. I've heard of people using brisket for burgers, but not sure of the proper mixture. Can't wait to try this thing out. Homemade sausage is going to be fun, and I can't wait to stuff some bratwursts for football season!!!
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great attachment for the KA. Haven't done my own burgers yet, however if you want to try kielbasi here you go: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140342/kielbasi-on-the-bge#latest

XLBGE 
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    edited August 2012
    try the umami burger (google for the recipe)

I used that grinder attachment to do over 20 lbs of meat for an eggfest (ground twice) and it worked fine, got the kit from amazon.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2012

Ya gotta try some Hot Italian Sausage. This is some I did awhile back. Better than any I've ever gotten from a store.

Hot Italian Sausage 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Grinder is pretty serviceable. We have one, and run maybe ten pounds thru each time. Does a solid job. I wouldnt run it all day or do much more than a couple five pound batches at once, depending on which KA you have. The motor on the smaller ones like ours can use a break once in a while

The stuffer we found to be just ok, and a little slow, requiring two people. Eventually got a different stuffer but still use the grinder

Funny you mention brats. My wife informed me i was going to be making some this week. Home made brats are ridiculously good
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mayberry
    Do those attachments work well for the ka? I always wondered
    It looks to be of solid quality. Any other attachment we've used for the Kitchen Aid has worked great. Can't wait to try it out this week.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Where do y'all buy the attachments?
    We bought ours at Williams Sonoma. You might be able to find them at Target, too.
    Athens, GA
  • I have the attachment but haven't used it yet. One tip people here have mentioned is to put the meats in the freezer prior to grinding. Do not freeze solid but just bring it down to a nice icey cold temp and it makes for a better grind.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    About 30 minutes is usually good. Throw in any metal parts of the grinder attachment as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hamburger blend that I use is 1/3 chuck, 1/3 short rib,1/3 brisket, bone marrow to bring fat percentage up to 25%, plus one teaspoon fish sauce per serving...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    try the umami burger (google for the recipe)

I used that grinder attachment to do over 20 lbs of meat for an eggfest (ground twice) and it worked fine, got the kit from amazon.
    Got nine from Amazon as well.  Works fine.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Use mine all the time.  I cut strips about 3/4" square, put 'em in the freezer until they're lightly frozen (otherwise the meat gets a pink slime consistency).  Also, don't torque down the front nut that holds the extrusion plate down too much - the assembly should spin easily with your hand, otherwise the motor will be working harder than it needs to be.
    I just made 10 pounds of sausage.  It was my first time using it.  It works well but you need to be two...