Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex

Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
How well do Nomex gaskets hold up? Has anyone ever fried one?

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I haven't replaced a gasket yet (although I need to), but most everyone on here either uses Rutland or Nomex. Heck, some people go commando and dont use a gasket at all. At any rate, google "BGE gasket" and you'll find more info than you can digest. The "best gasket" issue has been discussed on here a kazillion times.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I can't speak to long term since I've only had mine on for about a week, but I got the egg up to the same ripping temps that turned my felt gasket to molten goo and the nomex withstood it just fine.
    XL BGE
  • I switched mine out before I even put the BGE together.  I've spun the thermo a fwe times and it's holding strong.  It does look "dirty" though because it starts out white.
  • I installed the nomex a few weeks ago, have used it plenty of times with no problem.  Did pizza at 650 F on Friday night and it still looks good as new.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Almost 2 months after installing the Nomex.  I've done pizza marathons where the felt would have burnt off and the Nomex looks almost like new (except for a few stains from drips).  No adhesive failure so far.  Stuff I used was self-adhesive.  I used a 3M polishing pad and die grinder to prep the ceramic, plus acetone.  It was as clean as new.
    Thanks...it started to go after a couple pizza cooks. After today's clean burn...it's toast!
  • Saw a BGE high heat gasket at my dealer this week that is "peel & stick" just like the felt. It seemed like a good alternative to the labor intensive spray adhesive method on the Nomex.
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Hmmm...that sounds like a good alternative. Anyone have experience with these?
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    I've got the white nomex with self adhesive on my large and now my mini. Put it on the mini before the first cook. The one on the large is still perfect after 15 months of cooking. fwiw, mine are the High-que branded gaskets. I'm not certain if they're identical to the BGE branded ones.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Hmmm...that sounds like a good alternative. Anyone have experience with these?

That's what mine is. BGE sent it to me gratis when I toasted the felt one. So far the adhesion has been very good.
    XL BGE
  • have had a nomex on my large bge for a couple years now and it's the best by far that i've tried.  it does have a self adhesive back but i used the 3m super 77 spray adhesive to beef up the hold.  been working great.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    I got the package from Fred - gasket and spray - and have had no proble,s for over a year. Melted the stock felt after first cook.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Has anyone tried the High Heat Gasket Kit from High-Que? It appears to be the Nomex gasket with the self-adhesive backing. I watched their installation video and it looked pretty straightforward. Just wondering if anyone has experience with that brand?
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    edited August 2012
    Has anyone tried the High Heat Gasket Kit from High-Que? It appears to be the Nomex gasket with the self-adhesive backing. I watched their installation video and it looked pretty straightforward. Just wondering if anyone has experience with that brand?
    I've got the white nomex with self adhesive on my large and now my mini. Put it on the mini before the first cook. The one on the large is still perfect after 15 months of cooking. fwiw, mine are the High-que branded gaskets. I'm not certain if they're identical to the BGE branded ones

By schwaggy
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I bought the high heat gasket from High-Que and it is working great.  Multiple high heat cooks with no problems.  Adhesive is fine, and the gasket looks great.
  • Thank you for the information, I'm going to order one from Amazon and install it on my LBGE.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Do some Google research on Nomex. I had to decide which way to go when I fried by felt gasket too. Apparently water will break down Nomex in time. I opted for a Rutland for this reason. The Rutland is made from fiberglass fibers and water won't affect it. I've had my Rutland on for several weeks and have done several high temp pizza cooks. Still looks like the day I installed it.

Others who have tried the Nomex gasket can chime in with their experience. Maybe it is not an issue on the Egg, but I wanted a one-time fix and didn't want to chance the water issue since my Egg is out and exposed to the weather.