Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster tail suggestions?

Wally_Wabash_03
Wally_Wabash_03 Posts: 95
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to start some salmon with raging river on a plank at about 350 and I have two little lobster tails that I was going to put on there with it.  Any suggestions?  My guess was that it would take long to cook, shell down, with some olive oil, salt & pepper, and maybe just a touch of the rub, and finish with melted butter.  

Anyone else have experience with doing the tails on the egg?

Comments

• I cut the top of the shell in 2 parallel spots along the top. Then reach along the side to the back and scrape the meat free with my fingers. I then lift it out of the shell (still connected at the tail), and lay the meat it on top of the shell. Spread butter, garlic, Old Bay (whatever you like) and place on the BGE. Very easy and the presentation looks like this:

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    The couple times I've done it, I laid the tail "stomach-up" and split them vertically with a heavy, sharp knife, grilled them on their sides (meat-side up) direct smeared with OO and salt/pepper.  

EggbertsDad's method looks interesting, I'll try that next time!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I just remembered, I cut them that way the FIRST time, but its not a very stable/safe operation.  The second time I laid them on my cutting board "stomach-down"; they didn't roll, plus the longitudinal crease in the top shell gave me a better starting place for the knife.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I just remembered, I cut them that way the FIRST time, but its not a very stable/safe operation.  The second time I laid them on my cutting board "stomach-down"; they didn't roll, plus the longitudinal crease in the top shell gave me a better starting place for the knife.  
    That is the way I do them as well, and experienced your issues with cutting them.  Now for the doh oh moment.  Cut them with a set of cooking shears (strong scissors) instead of a knife, and you won't worry about cutting your fingers off.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I did it Eggbert'sDad's way and they were great. I made a mess of the first one but the second did well. (they were little $5 specials at Harris Teeter.). Seasoned with Raging River and cooked them on the plank for 10 minutes and finished on the grill for 5 (325). Did really nicely.
  • I cut the back with cooking shears and expose the meat (still connected to shell at the end). I apply some cooled garlic butter and sear the meat on the cast iron grate very briefly. I then take tails inside where I have half a stick of butter and fresh chopped garlic Ina sauté pan over medium heat. Put the seared tails in the sauté pan and tilt the pan so the garlic/butter swells to one side along with the tails. Begin spooning the butter over the lobster meat for several minutes and the hot garlic butter will actually finish cooking the meat, along with flavoring the hell out of it.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    Do a quick search for "dwell in the shell". Fast, easy, and delicious. Len