Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High altitude egging

Options
tim4illini
tim4illini Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi Everyone,

We just moved from IL to Colorado Springs.  Two questions:

1.  Any advice on egging at 6000+ft?  My main concern is the length of time it takes the egg to light.  Any special techniques or tools here?  I use lump (usually from Lowes) and MAP gas to ignite.  Anything else I should know about cooking on the egg at altitude?

2.  Any egg events in the area?  Other grilling related events?

Tim

Comments

• Grregger
    Grregger Posts: 13
    Options
    After years of frustration (hard to keep fire going for low and slow) my cousin in Flagstaff (6,900 elev.) sold his egg and bought a traeger, which he swears by instead of at...   Go Illini!
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    Options
    I live at 6000 ft. (south of Denver) and there is nothing special for lighting the egg at this altitude.  I usually use the firestarters but just bought a Looftlighter which I haven't used yet.  I've had my egg for about 10 years, but only in Colorado so don't know any different.  Water boils at 201 degrees at this altitude so when you calibrate your thermometer you have to keep that in mind.  Grilling doesn't seem to be much different at 6000 ft.  Things may take a little longer.  Baking is a challenge though.

There's an Eggfest next Saturday, the 18th, in Louisville which is north of Denver.  I haven't been to one here yet.  In the summer, Frisco and Dillon (Summit County) have great BBQ festivals.  I think that Parker which is pretty close to you has one but it small compared to the mountain ones.