Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon recipe?

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up salmon today-will cook tomorrow. Looking for a great recipe.I do have cedar planks. A nice asian inspired or any other great recipe would be appreciated. Thanks!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I like to grill salmon direct with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Dome temp at 450 until the flesh is firm. 

I have done the cedar plank as well with some lemon pepper blend from Sam's Club. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • I like to grill salmon direct with a little olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Dome temp at 450 until the flesh is firm. 

I have done the cedar plank as well with some lemon pepper blend from Sam's Club. 
    I just did both tonight for dinner. (Told the wife to buy some salmon, cam with 2.5 lbs :-? )  I preferred the direct grill.  Left a nice crust on the fish.  Mother in Law was the only one to prefer the cedar plank.  It did have a nice taste but I just preferred having that nice crust on there from the pepper and kosher salt.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    haven't done this on the egg yet but i have on a old water smoker 
    1/4-cup dried dill
    1/4-cup packed brown sugar 
    2-teaspoons kosher salt 
    2-teaspoons fresh ground pepper 
    mix all of the above together then rub on the salmon leave in the refrigerator in a plastic ziplock bag or non metallic dish over night before putting on the egg add more rub 
    cook skin side down about 50-60 minutes till flaky 
    on the water smoker i cooked at a temp of about 225 

careful taking it off if i remember mine fell apart but was still tasty 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • if no skin, should I plank it, regardless of which recipe I use?
    Rome, GA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    on the egg i would make it easier to get off as well wish i had of thought of planking it back then lol will now tho  :D
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    For a 4 lb piece of salmon I mixed 1/4 cup of molasses, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 cup maple syrup to make a basting sauce. Planked the salmon. Turned under the thin pieces so the whole filet was the same thickness. Basted with the sauce. Seasoned with lawreys seasoned salt and Chef Paul Prudones salmon seasoning. Cooked raised grid at 350 to a temp of 130. Mighty fine eats. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • MacKay52
    MacKay52 Posts: 74
    Seasoned with DP Raging River. Cooked on a plank direct 300°
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    Do you use any smoke?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • I use smoke with beef, pork and chicken sometimes. I have never cooked salmon on a grill with success.

Thanks for all the ideas! They are def keepers. Now I have to see what ingred I have so no trip to store.
    Rome, GA