Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bigguy's Friday Night Threesome

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Okay, get you mind out of the gutter. I put three pork shoulders (2@ 9 lbs and 1 at 11 lbs) on my large. I put them on at 5:00 PM, set my Stoker for 250° and was shocked when the alarm was going off at 4:30 AM for being done. I went out with my thermopen and yes, they were all at 200°. I think I had the meat too close to my Stoker temp sensor and it was much hotter than 250°. Now I know.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    As a matter of curiosity what did your dome thermo read during this cook?  Reason I'm interested is the reference dome temp is the driver for expected cook times unless otherwise mentioned, at least for the very great majority of cooks cited here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136
    Sorry but I never looked at my dome temp. I trust my Stoker so much that when the lid shuts, I do all monitoring from my computer. I guess I shouldn't trust one device 100%

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Thanks for the reply-I don't run with a controller but there are always "lessons learned" every time we fire up the BGE-next time a different journey.  That's part of the fun...at least for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice looking butts, +1.
    Seattle, WA
  • bigguy136

I only wanted one butt for myself and I gave one to my parents and Monday I will give away the third to a co-worker. It was fun and I will do again, but maybe just two at a time. I get my shoulders fresh, never frozen choice grade for $1.50/ lb. With that price, I don't feel bad about giving it away.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Sounds about right for time. 17 1/2 hours for 9 pounds. They never cook according to plan

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigguy136
    These got done in just under 12 hours.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Nice butts!  Good title on the thread.  Made me curious about what you had going on!
    Flint, Michigan