Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night: 1st go at Burgers

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So after searching I have found:

- Put grill on 600 direct raised
- 4 minutes
- flip
- 4 minutes
- Pull meat

Going to first get to about 400 and throw some veggies on, tired of having veggies take longer than meat.  
 Have some organic meat that was defrosted and decided why not?  Any one have a quick throw together burger 
recipe?  I don't want to go to the store, too lazy!  

Comments

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    If you have a thermapen grill only one first and time it to around 128ºF for medium rare.
    Then you will get a very close estimate if you are pulling a lot of burgers!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Burgers remain one of the few that I do by appearance and texture.  As long as the juices are clear you are OK.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Season the meat before you form the patty.  When you make the patty, use a light touch - you want air in the burger, make it loose - you don't want overwork the meat by packing it hard like a hockey puck.
  • only doing 1 lb  so 4 burgers. seasoned before making patties, with a light touch, never thought of that before!  Got it! Have my green thermapen ready to go!  Med rare is preferred.  Just waiting for the veggies to cook a bit more!
  • Alight pulling the temp up to 600 now, veggies done, ready to get em on!

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If you have a thermapen grill only one first and time it to around 128ºF for medium rare.
    Then you will get a very close estimate if you are pulling a lot of burgers!

Felipe
    Good idea. So simple a travis could do it. I never thought of that but I like it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ok, question when grilling burgers are you guys doing them dome open or dome closed.

I got the grill up to dome 600 put them on raised grate right above felt line, wait 4 min turned, 4 min, them temped them, way over 128  I pulled immediately when I saw 14?  They were well done, so burnt my mind.  We still ate them, they still had flavor but not med rare.  

Am I not high enough?  Should I have cooked dome open? Just want to improve for next time.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bummer....I like my burgers no more than medium rare.  Maybe whoever does the 4 min each size makes really thick burgers.  You'll develop a feel for it.  I've never cooked with dome open.  Just open to check, flip, load,etc.
    I thought ground beef was supposed to be cooked to around 165F to be "safe"?

If you make the burgers "loose" do you have to freeze them before cooking to keep them from falling apart on the grill?  I've got one of those Tupperware burger presses...but have found that I prefer to simply shape them in my hands...turning, pressing, rounding the sides with my thumb as I rotate the patty.  These end up relatively hard pressed though.  This is another thing I just haven't bothered doing on the egg yet...been using the cast iron on the stove top.
  • FlyingTivo
    I try to keep it simple, a simple spray of EVOO, season with DP Cow lick and on to the grill. The most important part of making burgers is to have a mix of 80/20 ground beef. What i do is put them on the grill close the lid, about 3 min@700 then flip and put the cheese on top and leave the lid open for other 3 min.

Never freeze meat if possible!

Felipe
  • Sorry stupid question but what do people mean a mix or 80/20? I buy hamburger by lean percentage is that what you mean? 80% lean 20% or mixing in pork or veal like a meatloaf?
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I like to do burgers at a lower temp, more like 450 to 500.  You will get a feel for them and develop your own "technique".
  • FlyingTivo
    80% lean 20% fat, but dont worry, most of the fat is burned or dripped while cooking but leaves the best flavour than 100% lean.

Felipe
  • HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    last burgers we made were of the ground chuck variety, dome in the 450 range 4 minutes per side plus a tad more to melt the swiss , keep the mushrooms in a small saute dish on the side while everything is happening , toss the buns on at the same time as the swiss to heat them slightly and get some nice grill marks...now I'm hungry again...
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    80% lean 20% fat, but dont worry, most of the fat is burned or dripped while cooking but leaves the best flavour than 100% lean.

Felipe
    Yep.  The extra-lean meat just means dry burgers.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL