Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many things are wrong with this video?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Too painful to watch the whole thing
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    He's basically using what you folks like to call the T-Rex method. It's sound steak cooking. Other than the general douchey-ness of the non-cooking guy in the background the only big problem I see is the lighter fluid. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have used a chimney.
    XL BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the oil is a carryover from panseraing, and like most things american, the idea seems to be if a little is good, a lot is better.

you don't want your best olive oil to burn like that.  burnt olive oil sucks, no matter how good it might be in the bottle.

you want to sear a dry steak. 

the guy is just repeating the same stuff every other person passes along without thinking. doing steak au poivre in a cast iron pan? yeah, a little oil.  but even still, not your best olive oil.  but on a grill, over 1200 degree lump, oil is not only unneede and a waste, it will giv our steak a not-so-wonderful burnt oily surface.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My iMac wont play it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    aren't macs awesome?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    aren't macs awesome?
    So awesome that with my 16gigs of DDR3 RAM, I could run 20 pages of that video not playing without a hitch.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    only 16 gigs? :))
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My iMac wont play it.
    My 6 year old macbook pro played it without a problem. Do you have a .wmv player installed on your computer? When I first got my mac it wouldn't play windows based videos. I downloaded the .wmv player and no issues with any videos since.

Mark Annville, PA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I counted a few 1) that is the only grill ever needed? Competely dissed the BGE, 2) lighter fluid on lump? 3) no one had a beer 4) he cut a piece a gave to him. He is a man, let hi cut his own 4) did they change or wash the cutting board? 5) I've read on here closing the grill up completely causes a bad smoke flavor, akin to putting out a candle. He did that to the steak I may have missed some
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    My iMac wont play it.

Weird. Played on my iPad and my MacBook Pro
    Boom
  • I wish it didn't play on mine. I'll never get those 13 minutes back

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    I wish it didn't play on mine. I'll never get those 13 minutes back

Best part? It is just one a whole "mansome" series
    Boom
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    My iMac wont play it.
    Get Chrome brother...it has flash embedded in the code.  Which is why I don't have flash installed on my MP Pro.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    My iMac wont play it.
    My 6 year old macbook pro played it without a problem. Do you have a .wmv player installed on your computer? When I first got my mac it wouldn't play windows based videos. I downloaded the .wmv player and no issues with any videos since.

I don't have .wmv installed.  Again, Chrome will play almost anything. 

Yes, i'm a Chrome fanboy....but that's because it just plain works!! B-)
  • cazzy
    Oh, working on my post count I guess.  

Outside of the oil, he really didn't do anything wrong.  He understood the importance of salting a steak and did so right before he put the meat on.  In addition, he essentially recommended folks to lump and seemed slightly embarrassed about using lighter fluid.  He centered his lump and moved it to the outside after searing.  Before thermopen, I used to use the hand comparison so I can't fault him there either.

At the end of the day, he wasn't really leading people down the wrong path.
  • FanOfFanboys

Outside of the oil, he really didn't do anything wrong.  He understood the importance of salting a steak and did so right before he put the meat on.  In addition, he essentially recommended folks to lump and seemed slightly embarrassed about using lighter fluid.  He centered his lump and moved it to the outside after searing.  Before thermopen, I used to use the hand comparison so I can't fault him there either.

. Ha overall I agree. Certainly better than the average griller. But no beer and saying weber only grill needed?! Someone get this man a BGE ASAP
    Boom
  • cazzy

. Ha overall I agree. Certainly better than the average griller. But no beer and saying weber only grill needed?! Someone get this man a BGE ASAP
    True, a BGE would have been nice but lets be real here...not everyone can afford one so it's not a solution for a lot of folks out there.  The Webber Kettle is a nice straight to the point grill.  I have so friends who can turn over some damn good food on their kettle.  Yeah, BGE is more versatile and I generally believe most of my food is better, but at least he didn't use a gasser.  LOL
  • stike
    i agree with cazzy.  only thing i see that is actual bad info is the oil.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    My iMac wont play it.
    Sadly mine did .VLC media player 2.0.3 play all types of files for a Mac
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stike
    yeah. travis didn't miss anything
  • cazzy
    5) I've read on here closing the grill up completely causes a bad smoke flavor, akin to putting out a candle. He did that to the steak 
    Different cooker all together.  You don't do that with the egg because of how well it is sealed and controls oxygen.  The smoke wouldn't go anywhere and your meat would just sit in it.  

Weber Kettle's let a ton of oxygen escape, even if all the vents are shut down (which they weren't in the above video - barely cracked).  The smoke will find a place to escape to and your fire will sniff down alot, but nothing like what happens when we close our vents.
  • I'll cook you a good steak on a webber. Now a brisket?........not so much

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    cazzy said: "Different cooker all together.  You don't do that with the egg because of how well it is sealed and controls oxygen.  The smoke wouldn't go anywhere and your meat would just sit in it."

once again, got roll with cazzy on this

• The Weber kettle grill is a great piece of hardware - especially with the CI insert. Now, I like my BGE best but the Weber is still very versatile and my steaks on it are just as good as the BGE.

Low and slow is definitely more challenging and when I did ribs back-to-back (1 rack on BGE, 1 on Weber) the family voted the BGE to be better (texture, flavor was as good).

So don't completely dismiss the Weber.

I must admit the EVO poured on while the meat was cooking was ugly. Ah, the rancid smell of buring olive oil...mmmmm....tasty

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Agreed that the dudes were tools.  I took umbridge with the lighter fluid and the expensive olive oil.  I'm of the oil the grates, not the meat, school of thought myself.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    5 minutes of my life I will never get back

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I loved it when he was talking up lump charcoal, but then lights it with lighter fluid.. 

I do agree with some of you that he was trying to teach the right ways. Lets be honest most people watching the video use the Weber grill, use kingsford, and lighter fluid. Most people will not be buying a big green egg so this video is a decent way to show the normal back yard grill user how to cook decent steak! 

Still BGE all the way :D
  • I was most impressed how he used the CA EVOO to cause a flare up...not!
    Yum taste of burnt oil on your steak. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Dude didn't do too bad minus the oil.

He's using lump and not recommending an instant read thermometer.  I respect that.

Weebers are a solid, classic.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."