Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smelly meat? Don't listen to the Momo...

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Heya gang -

I haven't posted in a while...  But this is getting out of hand -

If you smell your meat and it smells bad - RETURN IT AND GET FRESH SMELLING MEAT.

If you believe someone just because he posts all the time and says it's good without backing up his claims, you are asking for a trip to the emergency room, OR WORSE...

Google if you have questions and want a second opinion.

This forum is in no way going to reimburse you or your family for food poisoning or worse.  Don't take chances.  With yourself or others.

Thousands upon thousands of years of natural selection have developed a human nose that can detect a few parts per million of rotten food for a reason  -  regardless of flashy packaging or smooth pseudo-intellectual rationalizations.

Most food infections your CAN NOT SMELL - how can you wash and eat those you CAN??

Google and read up on it.  

Eating bad food for years and talking about it on the Internet is NOT justification for you taking the same risks.
smh
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Know your risks. That's my point

I never tell anyone to eat or throw out anything
    Or that it is safe or not because their fire is out

I give them information beyond the simplistic advice they otherwise might get

Just because you may not understand something, or you may not know the differences to look for, doesn't mean i dont, or that others don't either.

I agreed with jason when he tossed it out, but that was only after explaining to him what to look for, what might be happening, and what to try to do to find out more.

You popped in after it was all over, made a sweeping generalization, and crossed your arms in triumph

Nice job if you can get it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    so if it smells bad, it might be bad, and if it does not smell bad, it might be bad. i always thought there might be more to it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I really didn't mean for all of this to get out of hand. All @stike did was volunteer his knowledge, which is fact, in effort to assist me in making the best decision. I am very appreciative for his assistance, I don't feel we need a critic coming in with a fine toothed comb and attempting to pick it apart.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

Michigan Jason,  Looks like Masked Marvel volunteered his knowledge in an effort to assist you with your decision as well.

Alternative opinions are sometime not well received here. Sometimes when they are posted, they are jumped on by forum regulars.

Is Masked Marvel right? I cannot say, also can't say he is wrong.  Just another opinion.

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Thousands upon thousands of years of natural selection have developed a human nose that can detect a few parts per million of rotten food for a reason...

Most food infections your CAN NOT SMELL...
    Completely contradictory.... just sayin.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    A2Z said:

Michigan Jason,  Looks like Masked Marvel volunteered his knowledge in an effort to assist you with your decision as well.

Alternative opinions are sometime not well received here. Sometimes when they are posted, they are jumped on by forum regulars.

Is Masked Marvel right? I cannot say, also can't say he is wrong.  Just another opinion.

MM is a regular.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878

knowledge???....the guys completely contradicts himself and says to google it. What kind of knowledge is that?
  • Previously known as............  
    ;)
  • A2Z

Travis, I did not know MM was a forum regular had not seen his posts before.

I have cooked meat that I considered safe, but others may have not. What I am trying to say is different opinions are not always bad, just different from your own at times.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    A2Z said:

Travis, I did not know MM was a forum regular had not seen his posts before.

I have cooked meat that I considered safe, but others may have not. What I am trying to say is different opinions are not always bad, just different from your own at times.

Agreed. Forum posting, like txt and email, sometimes is taken wrong. It's hard to convey attitude, sarcasm, emotion, and inflection.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • A2Z

Mighty Quinn, you must truly be a wise man to question someones knowledge.  Nice to be able to pass judgement on other people.

This forum really needs people to ridicule others who post with a different opinion. Has been a real shortage.

• Mighty Quinn, you must truly be a wise man to question someones knowledge.  Nice to be able to pass judgement on other people.

This forum really needs people to ridicule others who post with a different opinion. Has been a real shortage.

=))

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Mighty_Quinn
    I am.... Ok wrong wording. Any knowledge that he has could/should have been conveyed. If the knowledge is there it wasn't posted. Telling someone to google something isn't knowledge.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Oh....and opinion and knowledge are two different things. I never ridiculed his opinion.
  • This thread makes me laugh. The rulers will be coming out soon.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I'm thinking maybe this dead horse has been beaten and we can move on to more important topics.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    What is momo?
    Boom
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited August 2012
    I'm thinking maybe this dead horse has been beaten and we can move on to more important topics.
    Preach!

But, seeing as how it is dead, what do y'all think? Cherry or apple?
    ;;) :D

• I'm thinking maybe this dead horse has been beaten and we can move on to more important topics.
    I agree... Like for instance; if you can still smell the bad food thru the KY base, do you still apply the rub?

=))

• stike
    edited August 2012
    i saw no evidence of ridicule.

for what it is worth, i don't mind someone with a differing opinion, and i pounce as quickly or more quickly on those who DO  ridicule.

i can tell you that i have never made a direct post about someone, telling you that their information was baseless, while referring to them as a 'momo', whatever that may be. if that is the kind of 'opinion' A2Z is happy having here, then we just don't see things the same way.

what usually is the case is that people get entrenched, and instead of seeing both sides of something, choose to defend a position.  i try to look at everything from borh sides, and usually do not say a damn thing if i have no personal experience in what's being discussed.  17,000 posts, and i have maybe 3 replies re: brisket.

as an example of my trying see things from both sides, witness the very thread MM is referring to.  I mentioned that a smell is common with cryo, known, and not a reason to panic. then I, and a few others, suggested giving it a second to clear.

it did not clear.

and i don't think anyone after that (including me) suggested eating the thing.

am i wordy? yep.  i'm after information.  and if i have it, i'll give it.  and unfortunately, maybe i spend too much time trying to explain ALL SIDES of an issue.

if all anyone wants is a yes or no, i can handle that.  i maybe am mistaken in thinking people like to know 'why', that they maybe aren't just looking for a quick internet vote and yes/no tally.

my apologies to anyone i may have offended (good knows they usually let me know) by my trying to offer a more complete explanation than you might expect on something I may have experience with.  i often forget that it is usually just as aceptable to jump in and guess and toss out an answer followed by a shrug.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    +1000 - the LAST thing I want this forum to turn into is a "my side - your side" set of cliques & hard-headed "professional" posters who get upset if anyone dares to question their "authority."  

And FWIW, opening a new thread & being obnoxious & calling names (ie, "momo") is JUST as bad, and should not be tolerated either!!!  MM should apologize, IMHO.  

For gawd's sake, it's the internet, and this is a place to help increase one's BBQ knowledge - if anyone suggests anything which may be contrary to conventional wisdom - then do your OWN research & make your OWN decisions.  Don't just blindly take ANY anonymous internet poster's word for it (including mine) when it comes to safety & health issues.  

For example, many folks use the Rutland gaskets & "say" they are safe.  However, others aren't comfortable using them because Rutland has never certified that they are safe for food (doesn't mean they aren't, necessarily, it just means they've never tested them).  

Anyway, the point is - some ppl CHOOSE to use them, some don't. Doesn't mean one is better than the other.  

No harm, no foul.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Its common sense to me. If you dont trust it then dont eat it. Chances are you will enjoy the food less if you think somethings wrong with it
    This is so true, even had it been good, I would have been picturing that smell while eating it and it would ruin the while experience.

• stike
    edited August 2012
    "I'm thinking maybe this dead horse has been beaten and we can move on to more important topics."

the topic for me (sorry) is someone starting a thread to tell people to ignore me.
    i've put up with people giving me continuos cr^p despite me NEVER giving them any, and so i kinda get a little p!ssed when someone feels it's fine to pop in and start a thread about someone's info being baseless

"If you believe someone just because he posts all the time and says it's good without backing up his claims"

there are a million dead horse topics around here.  that's not this guy's issue.

maybe he and everyone else who thinks i'm an idiot can skip my posts.  but they all keep reading them.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Ah...tweev. This place just isn't the same without his posts.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I love you Stike :P
    Boom
  • stike
    yeah yeah.
    don't understand why MM was happy to receive virtually the same advice from me about his own old meat, but now warns others away.

>shrug<

yeah, i checked.  trying to figure out why the bee in his bonnet

• I thought I was up I date with my urban slang (you guys know Centex is down with the kids) but I had to Look up Momo. Not a term of endearment, apparently. Maybe the 2:58am post time had something to do with it I-)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • A2Z
    Its common sense to me. If you dont trust it then dont eat it. Chances are you will enjoy the food less if you think somethings wrong with it

This is so true, even had it been good, I would have been picturing that smell while eating it and it would ruin the while experience.

So why did you ask if it was alright to cook?  After Stike explained to you his reasoning and then you threw it away.  Kind of looks lik MM was right in this case.

=))
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    I think it's posts like "the best thread ever" that lead to this stuff.  Anyone who read that and had ever asked about a "forbidden" topic may now be feeling like they've been made fun of.  I agree that if people don't want to read your posts, they should just move on and not comment - but it works both ways.
  • stike
    he was right because he parachuted in a day after the discussion.

i have an excellent hit rate when i do that too.