Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter Question

Options
DeafNativeTexan
DeafNativeTexan Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does it make any difference between legs down and up when using for indirect? Will it affect temperature, either low or high?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Usually the legs are up. This creates a better air flow and you can regulate the heat better...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    One other advantage (if you can call it that:)) is that with legs up you do not direct the reflected heat directly at the gasket (as occurs with legs down).  This will extend the life of your gasket (but it will die soon enough regardless). 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

Seems to me if you are looking to crank up some really high temps then you need the legs down.

George

George
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Legs up also give you a spot to put the trip pan.  One tip I recently learned was to put one of the legs directly at the back of the egg.  The heat typically flows up from the front of the egg towards the back.  With the leg there it will deflect the heat more efficiently.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • DeafNativeTexan
    Options
    Thanks to all eggers..Looks like it is no big deal whether using legs up or down for indirect..  But I'll have some fun to do some experiments, just like Mythbuster..