Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing the Egg for a while

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have not cooked on the BGE in 2 weeks.  With my work schedule of getting home after 7:30 and busy on the weekends I do not have time for a BGE cook between lighting it and waiting an hour for it to come up to temp and an actual cook I am going to just store the Egg away for a while.  Plus the DR is not going to give me a pat on the back with my elevated cholesterol levels (Ribs, pork, steak - not good for ya all the time and vegetables are blah).  I actually thought about selling it but not there yet.

Any thing I should do to keep it OK.  Or is storing it not going to matter?  Will the ceramic take up the dampness and ruin it with mold or something?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I've heard of mold growth due to long term storage. Don't know if there is anyway around it. I would think it would all burn off the first time you re-light it.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Maybe do a cleaning burn before you put it in storage?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Should it get mold it will not be ruined-as mentioned above a good burn will take care of that.  Never have stored mine (did go around 10 days w/o a cook once but no issues) so no first-hand knowledge however, I would think that if you burned it before storage and made sure it had air flow-no cap and no DFMT- you would greatly reduce the chances of mold.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  BTW-your DR may surprise you if you stick with just goodies off the BGE you may see a drop in your cholesterol. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I would probably do a clean burn, and then be sure sure to clean out all the ash. Make sure air can flow through it, or can get mold. I leave the bottom door wide open(screen closed) and I place a piece of rope across the top before putting the ceramic top in place. This way air can flow through the Egg. I found that if I sealed it up tight, I would get mold in a couple of weeks.
  • robnybbq
    This would be stored outdoors with the cover on it.

Should it get mold it will not be ruined-as mentioned above a good burn will take care of that.  Never have stored mine (did go around 10 days w/o a cook once but no issues) so no first-hand knowledge however, I would think that if you burned it before storage and made sure it had air flow-no cap and no DFMT- you would greatly reduce the chances of mold.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  BTW-your DR may surprise you if you stick with just goodies off the BGE you may see a drop in your cholesterol. 

Like what goodies?  Dont say chicken of vegatables - Blah.

Garnerville, NY
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I have room on my patio if you want to store it there.  I'll even fire it up regularly so mold won't be an issue.  
    Tc. Sure

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Dr said to cut out red meat and basically anything with fat. Cholesterol/triglycerides are too high.

The pasta/ carbs issue would help the weight.

Only using the egg maybe once a week on a weekend is one reason I want to just put it away or get rid of it. Not enought time to cook on it. During the week I get home too late.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    nd I do not like the majority of vegetables. They just taste like grass/dirt to me unless you bury them in a sauce/ garlic butter.

Garnerville, NY
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    There is only one reason to store a BGE.  You're going away to do time, right?
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    You should surrender your egghead card for taking the time to hit the post comment button with such a downtrodden subject line and subsequent forlorn submissions. If you can't make time for your BGE, your life doesn't have any substantive meaning.
  • robnybbq
    You guys are funny. Monday through Friday I get home after 7. That means I after the hour warm up/burn off I can't start cooking until at least 8 if all goes perfect which it never does. Add an hour or so cook and we are eating dinner at 9:30 10:00 at best then eat and go to bed. Kids are in bed at 9 so they don't eat? I won't even use the gasser anymore either. The egg cooked food if better than the gasser but I still don't have the knack for. Poking outstanding meals let alone close to healthy.

Weekends are tough between work and running around errands and whatever. Can't do a low and slow for the life of me as I can't keep the temps dialed in and if we are not home I am not letting the fire burn.

This and the health issues has me thinking that is all. I dont know what to do to be honest.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Poking should be cooking. Dumb iPhone

Garnerville, NY
  • Auto correct is nice isn't it? Well if you want to sell and if it's a XL/L and within a few hours from SW Michigan I may take it off yor hands....
  • I'm sad for you. Do you have someone who can light the egg before you get home (it sounds like your days may even be too unpredictable for that as well but just a thought. The time thing I get but the health thing is no way a problem, IMO. You can do anything on the egg. My egg was delivered on a Thurs and I was put in the hospital that afternoon so couldn't see the egg until Sat. First cook Sunday and haven't used my stove since and haven't done any of the fancy egg stuff yet either (ribs, butts, pizza etc). I will get to the good stuff but for now just trying to keep the salt down and drop a few lbs. Good luck
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    If you could devote one or two days a month to the Egg, you could cook up a storm and then freeze it in portions to reheat during the week when you are so busy!  I would hate to see you give up your egg - there is a learning curve to it that you may not have worked through.  Don't know about the mold issue.

As an RN - I agree with Hapster! - cut down on the carbs and especially the sugar (will help triglycerides).  It sounded like you might be overweight so definitely try to lose the weight - eat a lot of lean meats and veggies (season them) which you can prepare on the egg. Have a splurge day every week when you get to eat reasonable amounts of "bad" food.

Finally - you have to exercise!  Walking, running (my fav), biking, swimming - whatever makes you sweat.  You have to change your lifestyle for sure, but it's doable!  Family and health first, job, egging, next.

You can do it - I just got my second egg and my kids have been out of the nest for a few years.  Now I have time to play with grilling which I didn't "back then".  You will get there someday - so I vote not to sell the egg!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Teach the oldest how to start the egg. Show them the bottom vent setting you want ant it will be the right temp when you get home
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    If you could devote one or two days a month to the Egg, you could cook up a storm and then freeze it in portions to reheat during the week when you are so busy!  I would hate to see you give up your egg - there is a learning curve to it that you may not have worked through.  Don't know about the mold issue.

As an RN - I agree with Hapster! - cut down on the carbs and especially the sugar (will help triglycerides).  It sounded like you might be overweight so definitely try to lose the weight - eat a lot of lean meats and veggies (season them) which you can prepare on the egg. Have a splurge day every week when you get to eat reasonable amounts of "bad" food.

Finally - you have to exercise!  Walking, running (my fav), biking, swimming - whatever makes you sweat.  You have to change your lifestyle for sure, but it's doable!  Family and health first, job, egging, next.

You can do it - I just got my second egg and my kids have been out of the nest for a few years.  Now I have time to play with grilling which I didn't "back then".  You will get there someday - so I vote not to sell the egg!
    Well said.  +1.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • robnybbq
    I do not know what to cook that is healthy beside possibly fish.  I like fish but its a PITA to cook.  Sticks or falls apart all over the place.  I try to save that for dining out (do that way too much).

I hate chicken unless its paramagiana, or covered in BBQ sauce( Then what is the point).  I do not like most vegetables.  but will eat carrots, potatos, and occasional salad with a ton of dressing (again I know whats the point)  I can not stand green beans, and most earthy vegetables.  Will have broccoli of loaded with cheese or butter..  Peppers in a sauce not plain.

Lean meats?  Like what exactly?  Pork chops are blah.  Turkey burgers - take it or leave it. 

its not like we are cooking allot of bad food.  Did ribs a few times came out so so, a pork butt (came out bad), two spatchcock chickens (Family likes it), flank steaks, pizza.

I like a GOOD steak but that is loaded with fat and I have not gotten the nerve to get the Egg hot enough to cook a real steak right so I do not have them often at all.

My wife is home an usually makes dinner but no way she will light the egg.  Will have an inferno or no Egg/house at all if she does. Tried to teach her already with no luck.

Not to knock the cooking two days a week but I can not stand most leftovers or food that has been cooked and reheated - Always dry and no flavor.  Or frozen meats - I can taste the difference in the store bough meat that we have frozen then defrosted to cook vs unfrozen.

I am in a bad mood and venting as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • Baysidebob

Get an electric slicer.  Find one day in a month to rub and cook something really lean like bottom round.  That stuff is like elk.  So lean you can starve to death eating it.  Fridge it overnight then slice really thin for coldcuts.  Days and days of coldcuts with favorite rubs and woods you can't buy anywhere.  We revel in the "fat" but there are plenty of healthy BGE choices out there.

Getting home that late means you're under so much stress you may not recognize it.  One good point of the BGE is that it IS time-consuming.  It forces a slow-down that cuts a hole in stress.  Schedule a day or two a month to actually use it.  Storing it would be like all those home excercize machines that have become coat racks.  Working hard is good.  Working yourself to (an unexpected and early) death is not.

• scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    @robnybbq what do u like to eat other than steak?
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited August 2012
    If you like fish use these Matt's on the grill. Will not stick just don't put over direct fire. Good for 550 degrees or so http://www.imapellethead.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=IAPH&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=frogmats
  • robnybbq
    Pasta, sausage, fish, red meat, pasta, hamburgers, - Allot of food we order out which I know is the worst to do but at least it has good flavor.

Allot of the foods we eat are in a sauce or something.  Not plain grilled

I hate chicken form years of grilling it or cooking it on the stove and it coming out like bland cardboard.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq

Garnerville, NY
  • COegger
    I always liked your posts, Baysidebob (I've been a lurker) and agree - robnybbq, you're under a lot of stress (and in a bad mood).  Take a deep breath and like bob said, slow down.  Not everything you eat has to taste spectacular.  If you eat enough healthy stuff that is "blah" you will realize how good you feel and the "blah" will become "aaahhh - I feel so much better when I eat this".  Get the whole fam in on the program and change your life.  With enough time, I'm sure your wife can learn how to egg.  Now I just have to teach my husband....
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited August 2012
    Try the frog Matt's non stick works great for a variety of foods. Even for veggies. Don't have to worry about a pan or dropping through the grates
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

Get Cedar Planks - great for fish.    Salmon is great with or without planking,    Sword Fish or salmon steaks do not stick to grid.    with other fishes one thing I was taught cut a potato in half and rub it on the hot grid and fish does not stick  to the grid.      

Get a wok,   its  high temp cooking so you do not have to wait for the egg temp to stabilze since you will be cooking with the top open.   Your wife can prep the food before you get home.   You walk in the door start the fire with botton grid open and top open.   Change clothes and wait for temp to get up should not take more than 15 minutes if you put in fire starter or oiled paper towel in three places.    Chinese gives you good sauces for veggies and meat.

Wait until you are not in a bad mood before you make your decision.

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Baysidebob
    And, dare I say it, consider a gasser for workdays.  It worked for me.  Weber is good for parts and support.  Ten minutes and you have meat on flame.  Nothing like the fine nuances of lump and wood but way better than boring kitchen and boring stove with boring food.  Keep the BGE for special days when you have time.  We eat every day.  Food doesn't have to be a choice between something that hurts me and something I don't like.  It's a journey.  Lots of misses with a few hits but the hits are keepers.  Developing a personal menu that meets your own tastes and needs is so very interesting and is a never ending persuit.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

Get an electric slicer.  Find one day in a month to rub and cook something really lean like bottom round.  That stuff is like elk.  So lean you can starve to death eating it.  Fridge it overnight then slice really thin for coldcuts.  Days and days of coldcuts with favorite rubs and woods you can't buy anywhere.  We revel in the "fat" but there are plenty of healthy BGE choices out there.

Getting home that late means you're under so much stress you may not recognize it.  One good point of the BGE is that it IS time-consuming.  It forces a slow-down that cuts a hole in stress.  Schedule a day or two a month to actually use it.  Storing it would be like all those home excercize machines that have become coat racks.  Working hard is good.  Working yourself to (an unexpected and early) death is not.

I have to agree about the Egg forcing the slow down and a stress reliever. I'm a Road Warrior, away from home an average of 3 nights a week, also in the medical field (RN and Perfusionist - ran the heart lung machine during open heart surgery) When home, it's not unusual to be still working in the home office late into the evening. The BGE has become the hobby I never had. It is time consuming, yes, but I have embraced it. While it may take time, it's not constant time. I can do a long cook and still enjoy my 2 1/2 yo grand daughter all day long. I like the challenge of finding new things to cook, and it is now my biggest stress reliever yet. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
    And, dare I say it, consider a gasser for workdays.  It worked for me.  Weber is good for parts and support.  Ten minutes and you have meat on flame.  Nothing like the fine nuances of lump and wood but way better than boring kitchen and boring stove with boring food.  Keep the BGE for special days when you have time.  We eat every day.  Food doesn't have to be a choice between something that hurts me and something I don't like.  It's a journey.  Lots of misses with a few hits but the hits are keepers.  Developing a personal menu that meets your own tastes and needs is so very interesting and is a never ending persuit.
    +1  - Part of me still loves my 25 year old Weber. It's very sad looking, but it's a champ.