Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ high temp

Options
born2smoke
born2smoke Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Good day fellow eggheads

First time using the digiq and i am having trouble maintaining the temp low. I have it set up for 250 and its currently at 289. Used MAPP to light in one spot and temp was holding fone the first 30 min.I have a large egg. Top dampers are shut as well as half the damper ob the fan. Whats going on? Luckily i havent put the food on yet
Thanksbin advanced

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    I don't have this type did you get help or figure it out? Be careful to shut the daisy wheel all the way, you could put out your fire. It still needs to breathe. What happened?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have on one of these on my setup, have for a while.  If it's overshooting the temp, close the pit viper damper more.  You can close the daisy wheel almost all the way (I've done cooks with it closed entirely - the fan will power out the exhaust.  1/3 open on the viper and the top closed or barely open for 250 and below.   Air is leaking in all over the place, especially if the ceramic adapter is riding over the screen, and/or your gasket is leaking/gone.  Adjust based on the direction you want to go.  If your fire goes out, it's a lump stacking/quality issue.

Takes a while to stabilize, so don't expect instant results from a change.  Little adjustments, wait.
    Options
    I had problems the first few times, there is a learning curve. A person really should play around with one when they don't plan on cooking.
    If you wanted the temp to go higher you would give it more air, If things are shut down are getting higher temps you have an air leak.
    I was amazed at how for you close everything to keep temp.My first try was hot also.
    I ended up replacing my gasket and I think that helped.
    Now I find it takes longer to just get up the the right temp.
    I would not be without it, once you get it figured out you will love it.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I agree with Nolaegghead.  The only thing that allows the temp to go above the digiq setting is the airflow.  I usually low and slow at 220 degrees which means I have to have the damper set to only 1/4 open and the daisy wheel just cracked. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• LPGator
    LPGator Posts: 10
    Options
    I had that problem yesterday. I put the DigiQ damper just a little under 1/3 and the DW at 1/16th inch. Temp came down and stabilized at 250 (grid) for several hours.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Also, if you over-shoot your temp after starting, it will take a while for the egg to cool down.  Give it time.
    Hi guys thanks all for the input i was travelling today so didnt have a chance to see this until now. Indeed i ended uP closing the daisy wheel all but a tiny sliver and the fan damPer was also shut about 1/3 or 1/4 of
    the way. I ended up reading other posts inthe fPrums and one of them mentioned that the fan is open when it is not on leting Air in, contary to the stoker which has a check-flap that restricts incoming air.

Once the damper and top was adjusted it was a breeze to operate. I had always controlled the temps manually and had no major issuez but, the guru does give you enough comfort to leave the house for extended time durong low and slow.

Again, thanks a lot for the help guys