Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need ideas. Please help the newbie

Options
blaccjack
blaccjack Posts: 37
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I made brisket and pulled pork for my co-workers. They loved both (thanks guys). Now I want to make something else that would feed around 10 guys and continue to knock their socks off. Any ideas?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How about a couple of pecan smoked turkey breasts?
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Smoked meat loaf is always a crowd pleaser.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Options
    Turkey breasts, ham, pork loin, spatchcocked chickens
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Wings.  What size Egg do you have?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I'm with Doc...wings.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    On the XL I can do the BGE grid, some bricks and a Webber grid, and then a BGE grid extender to do a butt load of wings in a single cook.  Once you start thinking about it you can figure ways to do multiple levels.  Ace Hardware has a number of different sized Webber grids.  A whole wing at the store is actually two wings in the restaurant, so that is the potential for a lot of wings.

For me they are marinated at least 24 hours in Dichicko's Hot or Garlic and then done indirect, but wing recipes are like...well you know, there are a lot of them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    a smoked whole sirloin, tenderloin, or rib roast are always good but pricey. That's why buttts and brisket are so great to feed a crowd. You can take a cheap cut of meat and turn into magic to feed the masses
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hot smoked salmon?  Not really that hard to do.  With crackers, cream cheese, onion and cucumber a couple of large filets serve a lot.

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    My vote would be smoked meatloaf.   It would be easy and inexpensive for feed 10 people
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • blaccjack
    Options

I have an XL. Smoked Meatloaf sounds good. I'm sure I will do almost everything on the forum. I just saw the stuffed apples apple pie.

• blaccjack
    Options
    Next will be wings. Aww hell I might just do em both with the pineapple upside cake I saw on here too
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Beer can chicken or spatchcock chicken. Also you could do a bourbon brined turkey. You also can't go wrong with straight up BBQ chicken.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • blaccjack
    Options

@cortguitarmar curious which do you like better Beer car or spatchcock?

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Lasanga is great on the Egg.     That one gets them in an area they do not expect.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Too close to call. I do spatchcock more often because it is faster. I can cook a 7lb bird in an hour. Beer can would take an extra half hour. I have a sittin chicken roaster so I want to experiment with other liquid besides beer when I do the beer can method. Yesterday I did one with a mccormick pork rub. I put a mix of beer and Apple juice inside of the sittin chicken.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    A burger tasting.  I make mine slider sized with minibuns so everyone can have several different ones.  But you have to buy more stuff.  Lots more stuff!  You probably have a food processor for the shrimp burgers.  Must have a meat grinder for the chuck burgers, salmon burgers, brisket burgers and Italian (pork shoulder) burgers.  They all finish at different temps so a Thermopen is swell.  Lots of homework involved in chilling, seasoning, grinding,  and testing.  I chill all my formed burgers on wax paper in the freezer until firm then wrap them and freeze them.  Nobody believes this part but just try it.  I put my burgers of any sort on the stock grid rock solid frozen at 450 dome .  Never had any type fall apart.  Did brisket and Italian sliders this afternoon.  Wife liked the brisket burgers but it's still beef.  She made "happy sounds" while eating the Italian sliders.  I have a couple dozen sliders of different varieties in the freezer just in case someone stops over.  Once they're made and tested to your liking all you have to do is pull what you want out of the freezer, toss them on and you're having a party.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • blaccjack
    Options
    @baysidebob You sir are on a different level right now. I'm working my way up!!! Sounds great. You added more toys to my list.