Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need help with temperature adjustment

nozob1
nozob1 Posts: 43
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi All!

Cooking ribs today.  My H put BGE Coal, woodchips and chunks...placed only 1 firestarter in the center of the coal.  Can not get the temp down below 300.
Daisy wheel is now fully closed...the vent is abt closed.  Still 300-315.

We wanted it 225-250.

help!!

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Chances are that you let it heat too long with the dome open, be careful that you don't put out your fire by trying to lower your temp. The easiest way to decrease your temp will be to put your plate setter or anything else inside your egg to absorb some of the heat from your egg.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    If it got that high with stone and drip pan in place you have to just shut it way done and wait. You obviously missed it on the way up. George
    George
  • nozob1
    we are using the plate setter.  forgot to mention that.  Not using a drip pan.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    pull out the plate setter and set it on concrete to absorb the heat from that, and you can put a bowl of water or some bricks ect. It will help a little bit.
    Do you know why your temp over shot? Some times I'll leave the plate setter out till I've preheated and maintained temp, because trying to get rid of heat can be a challenge.

Ribs are pretty resilient and will be ok at the temps you have if you want to let it cool as it cooks.
  • For 225 is a pretty tough temp to maintain over long periods.  250 F is much easier.  I've personally found that I can get there having my bottom vent at about 1/16 of an inch.  Once you over shoot it's pretty tough to get it back down.
  • nozob1
    thanks everyone!  Can't figure out what happened this time.  

What is the best way to get to the temp you want to smoke ribs.  What are the best steps you take?  From lighting the egg, when to put in the plate setter etc?
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    For 225 is a pretty tough temp to maintain over long periods.  250 F is much easier.  I've personally found that I can get there having my bottom vent at about 1/16 of an inch.  Once you over shoot it's pretty tough to get it back down.
    What he said.   It'll get there.  Close the daisy wheel holes by half, close the bottom vent down to 1/16 in.  Don't kill the fire.  After 15 minutes just put the ribs on regardless of the "dome temp".  300 down to 250 is nothing to worry about. Have a couple of beers.  All will be well.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nozob1
    OK!  Terry said.... "Beer? OK!  well...If I HAVE to!"  LOL

Maybe that is what was wrong....he did not have the beer earlier!  LOL

Closed the vent to 1/16 seemed to the trick this time!  Smelling GOOOOD!

Thanks everyone!!
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Ambient temp is 74.  Dome maybe 252 and holding.  Here's what it looks like here and now.  Your results may vary.  Don't have the Mav. on but grid temp will be lower.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I had the same issue yesterday.  You almost have to totally close it off and then wait and keep an eye on it.  Once you get it down where you want (just north of 200), don't move the  bottom vent again and do the rest with the daisy wheel.  I was able to hold around 230 for about 5 hours.