Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone add wood chips/chunks through ash door?

Options
COegger
COegger Posts: 58
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anyone does this or is it a bad idea?  I had my egg shut down after lunch today then decided to try it.  I carefully opened the ash door and shoved a couple wood chips into the embers down there.  Within a couple of minutes I had some nice hickory smoke coming out of the top of the egg.  I thought this may be a useful technique for adding extra smoke during a long cook.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    edited August 2012
    Options
    That's the method Stumps smoker owners use to add wood smoke to their cabinet smokers, wood chunks added to below the ash grate of the charcoal chute, never thought of trying it on the egg, ingenious. Having been caught out in the past, forgot to add wood chunks to the charcoal and had already loaded plate setter and food etc to the egg, if I'd thought about this it would have made it a much simpler task.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i add them at the start.  i also (if i am roasting something at moderate temps) will just open the dome and jam a stick or twig into the lump, or bounce a chip thru the grate into the fire.

but typically, all my wood is in the pile of lump from the get go.  fire burns down and finds it as it goes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    When I'm cooking pizzas (hi temps, platesetter and stone in place) its very hard to get the chips onto the coals; this idea would certain take care of it.  Will give it a try, thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I load chips throughtout the lump load-figure where's there's fire there's smoke.  I use the unscientific approach of a good handful of chips equates to about a chunk.  And contrary to most here-I light low&slows around bottom center (build the lump in the center to the rest of the load).  Never lost a fire (now jinxed) but subscribe to the observation that fires burn up as long as there is fuel. Heat/hot rises and structural fires (and this is not an oxygen unlimited environment for sure) tend to burn"up" before heading "down" for more fuel.  Experiment-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    Options
    Where were you when i was getting massacred for saying the same thing lou? I coulda used some help!
    :)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Been there for the long haul-When this all to frequent topic comes up I'm in there with essentially the above post.  But let's face it-who they gonna believe?????  Besides, I'm the one who poached (with credit) your chips/chunks like ford/chevy treatise that I occasionally launch.  Search and read would really cut down on the posting fun :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    Options
    Been there for the long haul-When this all to frequent topic comes up I'm in there with essentially the above post.  But let's face it-who they gonna believe?????  Besides, I'm the one who poached (with credit) your chips/chunks like ford/chevy treatise that I occasionally launch.  Search and read would really cut down on the posting fun :)>-
    Perhaps you didn't understand my question, lousubcap and stike.  I was not asking how to smoke, build a fire or wood chunks vs. chips.  I was asking if anyone had tried adding chips or chunks into the embers in the ash box during a cook for additional smoke (maybe you forgot to put them in the lump or changed your mind about smoke, etc.) Why don't you try searching for that (all too frequent?) topic?

Aside from that, I don't see the need for remarks like this.  Obviously you guys know everything about egging so aren't here on the forum to learn anything.  Assuming you are here to help others and share your knowledge what is the point of writing something like this??  If the question annoys you, I for one would be happy if you just ignored it and moved on.

Oh the joys of posting....
  • stike
    Options
    i was referring to lou helping out on another question.  he said a  fistful of chips equals a fistful chunk, specifically.

my answer to you was re: adding chips mid cook.  i tried to explain a way that avoids needing to add chips midcook.  but yeah, your way would work to, if you needed to. 
    don't take it personally

• lousubcap
    Options
    Have a great day-sorry to upset anyone here-I try to be a frictionless conduit with information/experience I have learned over the years.  Sometimes the intention misses the mark-on we go.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Sounds like a good method to me if you need to add smoke.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys