Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BBQ Contest

calracefan
calracefan Posts: 606
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went to my first BBQ contest this morning , as a spectator,at our county fair. Not much of a turn out only 5 people showed up, 3 left because they said they didn't have enough time to prep their meat. So they cancelled the contest, so since I was up early I came home fired up the Egg and put on 2 pork butts. We'll see how my backyard contest goes ! Only disappointment , I was really wanting to see how a contest worked.
Ova B.
Fulton MO

Comments

• bummer. Sounds like the event promoter needs a little help getting that thing going. You'll probably end up cooking way better Q but it would have been fun to see how it all works. In my limited experience attending them, I have noticed the following: 

Apparently you get there the day before, drink all night while you cook. Throw washers, get into a fight with the team 3 smokers down over who's brisket is better (after fight, make outrageous bet with other team, up to and including tiles to cars and deeds to homes) over who's brisket will win. then, on 2 hours of sleep in a rickety lawn chair while holding a full can of Bud Light that has gone warm, you stir to present your food to the judges. Both teams then quietly pack up without making eye contact with the other after placing 15th and 18th out of 20 teams.

That's what I've heard anyway :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Too bad it was a bust. I've had some really good Q at comps. My wife and I used to do some judging at local contests, and I picked up lots of good tips doing that. Also easy way to find out what you like and don't like.

Cen-Tex......sounds like a good time!
  • Too bad it was a bust. I've had some really good Q at comps. My wife and I used to do some judging at local contests, and I picked up lots of good tips doing that. Also easy way to find out what you like and don't like.

Cen-Tex......sounds like a good time!
    It sure does. I actually made all that up assuming that's exactly what me and my merry band of knuckleheads would do (minus the bud light)  :))

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Sounds like a poorly organized event. Sux that you wasted the time to go but good that you're making good use of the time now.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bummer. Sounds like the event promoter needs a little help getting that thing going. You'll probably end up cooking way better Q but it would have been fun to see how it all works. In my limited experience attending them, I have noticed the following: 

Apparently you get there the day before, drink all night while you cook. Throw washers, get into a fight with the team 3 smokers down over who's brisket is better (after fight, make outrageous bet with other team, up to and including tiles to cars and deeds to homes) over who's brisket will win. then, on 2 hours of sleep in a rickety lawn chair while holding a full can of Bud Light that has gone warm, you stir to present your food to the judges. Both teams then quietly pack up without making eye contact with the other after placing 15th and 18th out of 20 teams.

Also sounds like a synopsis of every episode of BBQ Pitmasters (old version)!

Also sounds like a synopsis of every episode of BBQ Pitmasters (old version)!
    I knew I should watch that show more. I can never find it
  • I've been in the Memphis in May BBQ tournament for over 10years now and you're disciption of a competion is perfect,atleast for the first 7 years until my team members and I started getting married and having kids! That is great.But there is one in Paducha,KY that some family of mine does every year and it is awsome it's called smoke on the water.Worth checking out.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Here's the result of the failed contest
    7e156473
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO