Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heavy-handed lump charcoal taste

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am fairly new to the BGE - been chillin' and grillin' for years. I used lump charcoal for my first few outings with BGE and found the smell and taste overwhelming - too acrid - almost bitter. I was using oak charcoal provided by my BGE distributor.[p]Since then I switched to charcoal briquettes but would like advise on a less potent lump charcoal. I have not used the BGE charcoal yet.[p]Thanks[p]Bill V.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    bill v.,
    I agree to some extent on the strong "flavor/taste" of the oak lump. My Egg dealer got in some Sugar Maple lump from Canada and I have to say there is a difference. Sugar Maple is much milder. Even mixed the oak and maple with pretty good results.
    Carey

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    bill v.,[p]Oak lump is usually very mild. Your bag of lump may contain some pieces that have not totally converted to charcoal. These will definitely impart a strong flavor. The good pieces should weight very little with the bad ones being noticably heavier. It is also possible that you obtained a bad bag of charcoal. It has happened to others.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bill v.,
    I have not gotten that flavor with the lumps I have tried. The only bitter smoke I have gotten was from cooking fatty foods direct...from the burning grease. Also, I find that giving the fire more time to get stabilized helps you avoid the extra smoke the lump creates when it is just getting going.[p]Try some other lumps before you use them briquettes!! Those guys are a last resort IMO.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    bill v.,
    http://peopleswoods.com has a variety of charcoal types to choose from. Slightly more expensive than local sources but that's the shipping.
    JimW

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Options
    bill v., I ran into the same problem over here----then tried the BGE charcoal and have had great results ever since---[p]Kona Tim

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    JimW,
    These people are Egg dealers too! Haven't been in to visit yet and they are only minutes away!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JimW, you got that right, and if we think its expensive now, wait till the trucklines adjust freight prices to the fuel costs today..I shudder at our food expenses for the next year or so...I will appreciate my Egg even more.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bill v.,
    Was it mesquite lump? If so - that is pretty normal and if you add any hickory - it can often combine to form that acrid taste. I avoid all mesquite and hichory combos.[p]Tim