Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried my first pizza last night

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Overall, it turned out so so.

Picked up some dough from my favorite local pizzeria. The owner recognized me as a customer, and asked what I was planning on doing. He was excited to hear that I was trying my hand at pizza on the BGE, and he gave me the dough for free.

I made two BBQ Chicken pizzas. Aged Gouda, Fresh shredded Mozzerella, Crushed garlic, Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, and fresh oregano.

Cooked the pie high in the dome on a raised grid, at around 550 degrees. Lower vent open, top wheel nearly closed completely. Wiped the stone with a damp rag before the cook. The toppings were done, but as others have stated, I found the fresh Mozzerella produced too much moisture, so the middle of the pies were damp. I also was not a fan of the taste of the BBQ sauce.. Or maybe it was the burt corn meal I used to help slide the pies on and off the peel. At any rate, it left a strange, over smoke type flavor.

I was happy with the way the crust turned out. Even browning on the bottom, same as up top. You can see one side was stuck to the pie stone, and when I went to slide it off, the topping slid to the side as well.

Next time, I think I'll stick to a traditional pizza. I think I'll also use bagged cheese, as it should contain less moisture.

Any tips or advice is appreciated

Jason

Comments

• I use fresh mozz on most of my pies and it does not make the crust soggy. Might try a little less next time?

Use parchment paper instead of corn meal. Made the switch after another thread on here and it's made a huge difference. Some guys take the paper off after a few minutes but I just leave it on the whole cook. Works like a champ

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tmas
    tmas Posts: 35
    How do you use the parchment paper?  Just on the stone?  On the peel getting to the stone?  On the cutting board when spreading out the dough?
    XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)
  • Katy,

Just put your pizza on the parchment paper then put your peel under the paper and then slide paper and pizza onto the hot stone. You can leave the paper there while it cooks.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I cook my pizza hot...the first time I tried the parchment paper it burned up, including on the bottom.  So now I trim the excess off around the pizza with a razor blade (or scissors), then pull the parchment out from under the pizza after a minute or two.

Been doing it like that ever since.  Works great!

Low-moisture mozzarella is great for pizza.  I use part skim to cut down on calories (and so I can add more cheese)...

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-pizza-lab-the-best-low-moisture-mozzarella-for-pizzas.html
    I've started to use the blocks of mozzarella cheese and shredding it myself. You know the kind located right below the shredded cheese that are hanging on the racks? Same cheese but they aren't coated with a desiccating powder that prevents the shredded stuff from clumping and I think prevents it from melting as nicely or browning up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've started to use the blocks of mozzarella cheese and shredding it myself. You know the kind located right below the shredded cheese that are hanging on the racks? Same cheese but they aren't coated with a desiccating powder that prevents the shredded stuff from clumping and I think prevents it from melting as nicely or browning up.
    Yeah, you totally got that right.  The shredded stuff's coating that keeps it from sticking together also keeps it from melting together.

What I've been doing lately is forgoing the shredding altogether and cutting chunks with a knife.  I like every bite of a pizza to be a different combination of toppings.
    PS - 'nuther thing on cheese from my experimentation - home made mozzarella - however good it tastes, I keep getting a dark caramelized crust on it that doesn't look very purdy.  I've stopped using it.  Brie makes for an incredible flavor (if you like brie).  I put the rind on too.  I tried Limburger once, and it, I suppose from cooking, isn't stinky anymore - I was a little disappointed in that, but it tasted great.
    All of the above. You build your pizza on it, slide the peel under the paper when moving to the egg and slide it off the peel onto the stone with the pizza still on the paper. Some folks remove it after a few minutes but I do not. The only suggestion i would give is to tear the paper to very close the size of the pizza. If it hangs out too much it can burn. Not that big of a deal but it can leave black paper ash on your pie

• I've started to use the blocks of mozzarella cheese and shredding it myself. You know the kind located right below the shredded cheese that are hanging on the racks? Same cheese but they aren't coated with a desiccating powder that prevents the shredded stuff from clumping and I think prevents it from melting as nicely or browning up.
    good call Griff.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    You also might want to turn your pie 180* about half way through your cook. The back of my Egg is always hotter. Works for me.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• You also might want to turn your pie 180* about half way through your cook. The back of my Egg is always hotter. Works for me.
    I do that too. I turn it a few times if it's running hot
  • Katy,

Just put your pizza on the parchment paper then put your peel under the paper and then slide paper and pizza onto the hot stone. You can leave the paper there while it cooks.

oops- didn't see that you had already answered that one!

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I pull the parchment after a minute or so. The high temp sets the dough quickly so it slides right off the parchment.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Katy,

It's okay Cen...we know you're on a quest to get 5,000 posts.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    No such thing as a bad pie, only good ones and great ones. until you develop your own "technique" I think less is better, keep the toppings to a minimum. I went through the same stage, bottom open, top vent almost closed. Found the pizza too smoky as the air flow was not great. 

Found we like about 525F, plate setter legs down, stone on the setter. Every time I tried a raised grate, I had a burn issue. I use parchment, slide it out after 3-4 minutes, give the pie a 180. 

Looks OK, keep at it.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I don't mess with the parchment or the corn meal. I just build my pizzas quickly. If you get distracted you could be in for a battle, though.

I've only done pizzas on the egg a few times now, but I'm still using fresh mozz. packed in liquid. The change I made to combat the excess moisture in the pizza was to slice the cheese about 10 minutes early and let the slices drain on a few paper towels. It works like a charm and I still get the unbeatable texture of fresh mozz. 
    XL BGE
  • Katy,

It's okay Cen...we know you're on a quest to get 5,000 posts.

5000 is for quitters. Funny thing though, I have never been on any other forum so I don't even look. As of this writing, I have no idea how many I have. I will look as soon as this posts. Unfortunately, I'm just a loudmouth with no alterior motives or post count quest.