Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Micro-Air Adjuster

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was watching picS, maybe @Stike, and saw this Differnt Than stock slide for the bottom vent. Then someone else posted about a wiggle rod, not knowing what that was they then gave a link, darn it ThirdEyeQ is not taking any orders right now. Does anyone have or know where I can get an adjuster any of his products?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Have one that I got about three years ago. Wouldn't part with it for any amount.

More exact temperature control that with the standard slide but, it has some quirks.

I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior almost exclusively but I have a stash of Competition blend in the shed that I haul out for long cooks and special occasions. The CB has a different set of settings than the WW although not that different it took a couple of cooks to get it right.

If you can get one, grab it and hang on tight! They're worth it in my estimation.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    a forum member 'eggor' made a few of them a number of years ago, only briefly.  i got mine in 2005. he referred to them as 'lucy'.  eggor no longer visits the old place.  he was one of the good guys...

he stopped making them, but thirdeye started up with them a few years ago and thee was a small flurry of orders.  if thirdeye isn't making them, you may be S.O.L.

you might go on the 'old' forum and ask if anyone has one to sell, because the last time anyone asked i remember someone saying they had never installed theirs and they were willing ti sell it.  no idea who that was or whether they sold it though.

i like it, but it isn't 'necessary'.  as sundown said though, i wouldn't do a low and slow without it.
    you can also shut it, and then slide the whole thing open just as a regular vent cover

it roughly equates to 100 degrees per hole. 250 is two and a half (for me)

this was about 180 (hot smoking bacon, i think)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    That doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to make.  I'm curious though, there's not much clearance between the sliding cover and the screen.  Do you have to remove the screen to use that "aftermarket vent"?
  • stike
    I have no screen actually. Not sure about the new ones
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I did something similar by making stainless steel sheet metal plates that are 1/8" taller than the vertical dimension between the inside of the rails that the door slides in. I then put a slight curve in it to match the curve of the sliding door.  Instead of an adjustable pivot, I drilled a pair of holes in the middle of the plate above each other to not be blocked by the center rib of the screen. I have 1/4"  5/16"  and 3/8" pairs of holes.  Aluminum sheet metal would also be easier to form, but I already had the SS so used it.  To use, place the plate into the lower slot of the door slide and raise it enough to catch under the upper slide but not out from under the lower.  Move the door to the left to lock it in position.  For my XL, the 5/16" and the 3/8" have worked well for low and slow.  Haven't tried the 1/4" yet.  tFine trimming of the temperature is done with the daisy wheel. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    For a wiggle rod, a metal coat hanger does the job.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • njl
    For a wiggle rod, a metal coat hanger does the job.
    That's what I use.  You don't need much...just enough to poke into the grate holes.  Maybe the stouter wiggle rods can wiggle the grate.  I just use mine to poke into and around all the grate holes I can see that look clogged.
  • Darn, I can work out the coat hanger thing, but really would like the adjuster, might have to keep looking.
  • cortguitarman
    Your DFMT is a micro adjuster. No need for one on the bottom and top.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Your DFMT is a micro adjuster. No need for one on the bottom and top.

I know, I know, I just like the 1 hole per hundred degrees idea.
  • cortguitarman
    Sometimes I need to sit back and tell myself not to overthink things when I'm egging.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I think Third Eye BBQ sells the micro adjuster.
    Flint, Michigan
  • He is not taking orders right now per his site.
  • If any of you Northern California Eggers are intertested in this micro adjuster...we have 6-7 at Eggs by the Bay.   I found them just the other day stired away in a box.

We also have several green ceramic feet.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jafenske
    jafenske Posts: 11

@SMITTYtheSMOKER: Would you consider shipping one of these to me. PM me if you are interested.

• If any of you Northern California Eggers are intertested in this micro adjuster...we have 6-7 at Eggs by the Bay.   I found them just the other day stired away in a box.

I would also take an adjuster as well as 3 ceramic feet if you are willing to ship them.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    I'd be interested in some feet as well if you can ship.
  • jedawa
    jedawa Posts: 24
    edited August 2012

If any of you Northern California Eggers are intertested in this micro adjuster...we have 6-7 at Eggs by the Bay.   I found them just the other day stired away in a box.

I would also take a micro adjuster if you'll ship, and if it would fit an XL...
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • njl
    What do you do with the DFMT when using a micro-adjuster at the bottom?
  • stike
    whenever you use the egg, one of your dampers is on control.

i was 'taught' early on to try to marry the two.  both open the same amount roughly.  but that's now how it works.  you really just should pick your favorite method.

if i am going lo and slo overnight, i will set the micro adjuster to a couple-and-a-ahalf-holes open.  the daisy can be a little more open than that, because the bottom vent is running the show.

but there's a thing called the stack effect. if i took the daisy totally off, you could have a case where the draft sped up gradually.  nolaegghea will be along in a second to explain the stack effect.  just give him a chance to google it for us. (kidding, sorta).

you wouldn't want to totally take off the daisy, but you could.  the inlet will choke things still.  but it's better to be prudent (on an overnight) and set the daisy as a bit of back up.  it will help top things out if the fire starts to take off.

you can control the BGE with either vent, upper or lower.  think of a garden hose (i trot this idea out all the time).  you want to fiddle at the tap, and dial in? you can.  or you can use the brass hose nozzle for even more micro adjusting.  you don't NEED the nozzle, but it does allow you to turn it on full blast at the tap and then dial down at the other end.

let's just back way up and say this: airflow thru the egg is everything.  increase it, and temps go up.  decrease it and they go down. however you achieve that is up to you.  my eggs sit on the ground. i tend to kick the lower vent more open than required, and dial in with the daisy at my working height

YAY, I was hoping somebody had some extras. I PM'dyou!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Stike, you're killing me (not really)...I use the garden hose analogy to explain voltage and current relationships all the time.  Yeah, it works here too.

You're right (as usual).  The egg is a stack - a combustion convection pump with massive thermal mass.  The "fan" is hot, less-dense air rising relative to cool "dense" air.  Generally speaking, the top is the exhaust, the bottom damper the intake. You can damper one or both and change the rate of oxygen and almost immediately change the combustion rate of the fuel (lump).  However, damping down the combustion is one thing, but as it takes a while to heat up a pizza stone, it takes equally long for it to cool off.  What makes it an efficient grill also makes it slow to change temperatures.  

For doing dealer demos, that's just something you're going to have to deal with.  Or run two eggs and purpose them for different oven temps.

No google required for this one.
    I'm confusing my threads here...sorry!
    edited August 2012
    First let me say I am not interested in becoming an entrepreneur (I prefer to continue enjoying my retirement) so that is not why I ask this question.  There appears to be demand but no product.  Even when made, there is an extremely limited product supply.  If this item was made by another manufacturer, priced the same or higher so as to not undercut the original manufacturer, would you buy it?  Of course the idea would be predicated upon it not being a patented product.  Being priced similarly, there would be the same marketing opportunity for both manufacturers.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • I'm all in!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Wow, I'm learning about electricity, motors, stacks, goodness! Now a little trivia most don't know about me, I rebuilt an engine in high school, only girl in my class and had to go to the school board to get in the class. They didn't want girls in the Autoworks Class, only the PowderPuffs class. I already knew how to change a tire, and my oil, I wanted a challenge. None of the guys would be my partner so I had to do my engine tear down and back myself, WELL they were old broken down pieces of crap and most did not start, BUT whose started...that's right MINE!
  • stike
    timekpr1.  i think i paid 10.  may even have gotten it free. 
    eggor made no cash.  thirdeye was doing them last year, but i'm not sure if it was worth it or him.  i think he was at $15-20, and barely covering the expense.

i won't speak for him, but i think it came down to (in both cases) a great idea, but hard to do in a reasonable volume that was big enough to help lower the manufacturing cost
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Depending on manufacturing costs, it looks like a niche product that could be filled by a current manufacturer of aftermarket BGE products.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    well. it was being produced by a current manufacturer of aftermarket BGE products.
    i think he found it too costly for the number of orders, but that's just a guess.

it could be that he's just too busy with other orders

microadjuster is here:(scroll 3/4 of the way down)>>> Micro-Adjuster

this statement re: all orders (not just microadjuster)>>> Ordering
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I have been egging for several years now and can't imagine what use I would have for a contraption like this.