Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hand Washing

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

AleBrewer,

+1

Unless you are using the bathroom, playing with the dog etc., there should be no problem.  We have become a germophobic society which in turn lowers our immune system.  I understand it in a restaurant because god knows what happens there, and even in that case like someone posted before, you see people with food handling gloves touching money or picking stuff off the floor..... at home, no gloves.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    my problem with germophobes isn't their germophobia.  it's that they apply it inconsistently.  people are afraid of germs only because they have been told to be.  conversely, they utterly ignore germs or procedures where they shouldn't, if they were TRULY worried about bacteria.

case in point. washing a chicken and all the cutting boards like they are nuclear waste, while serving a spinach salad, unwashed.  i'm pretty sure most cases of food poisoning from salmonella lately have occurred in produce.  because of testing, there have been beef and chicken recalls, but only a few people actually sick from it.  but produce is a different thing altogether.  more people are getting sick from produce than chicken/beef, from what  understand.  why are people only worried about raw meat?

i also like to point out that if they are truly concerned about bacteria, they are going to need to reconcile the fact that their toothbrush has been sitting out in a bathroom for the past many months, left to air dry after swabbing the bacteria from their mouth.  how do they not look sideways at their toothbrush every night and not worry? :))

it is virtually (no BS here) a certainty that every person on this forum, member or lurker, has a toothbrush which would test positive for e. coli.  and yet it's the chicken breast that freaks them out.

is there a reason your toothbrush isn't a new one opened fresh every night? aren't you worried about 'germs'? :)

truth is, the vast majority of germs in our house are OUR germs.  families have their own strains, even.  your appendix actually has a function.  to repopulate your gut with bacteria in the case of an illness where they get wiped out. 

germs aren't bad.  bad germs are bad.

there are more so-called germs on you right now than there are cells in your body.  by a huge factor.  quit panicking.  quit using antibacterials for everything, swabbing every surface with alcohol, and quit taking antibiotics unless you truly need to.

it's just giving you a false sense of security, and can actually weaken your immune response.

time to shut up, stike.  yeah. i know.
    :))

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    the toothbrush thing always ends the discussion.  some day i hope to get an answer, because i haven't been able to brush my teeth ever since learning about the e.coli. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

You had to go there

Quit being so rational

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited August 2012
    You also have to remember that not all strains of the e coli bacteria are harmful but some are deadly, and you don't know if your beef is contaminated with a relatively benign version or a deadly strain.  I think it is just common sense to work in a clean environment and do your best not to cross contaminate, especially from uncooked meat (which will be safe after cooking) to menu items that will be served raw like salads and some vegetables.  I think there are people that take things to extremes but sanitary work environment won't hurt you and may even keep you from getting sick.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm by no means a germophobe.  On the contrary, I think that all these anti-bacteria products and living in a bubble by sterilizing everything has a negative effect on our health - makes our immune system lazy and weak.

A buddy of mine told me that when he was in the Navy and about to embark on his first long tour in a nuclear sub, they asked him if he had any allergies.  He said no.  They said, well, you will when you're done.  They were right.  The sub is so sterile, lacks the antigens and flora of bacteria you're exposed to normally.  Has a profound effect on the immune system. 

Kids need to eat dirt and be exposed to bacteria and antigens.  Kinda hard to stop them, actually.

I've had salmonella a few times and it's not fun, so I take a few sensible precautions with raw chicken.  e-coli is everywhere, you're eating it all the time.  The bad e coli is the O104:H4.  It's very rare, you can't see it and you just have to trust the food industry to keep it at bay.  5-10% mortality rate - you don't want to get that.  I don't worry about it.  And I never worry about the toothbrush. 
    edited August 2012
    "You also have to remember that not all strains of the e coli bacteria are harmful but some are deadly"

first person ever on either forum to say this. thank you gerhardt.

it's only certain strains we need to worry about.

i agree gerhardt that people need to take precautions.  i just wanted to point out the absurdity of overkill, applied without a basic understanding of what makes stuff harmful or not. 

still, i maintain that the precautions people take with meat are excessive, while those they take with produce are lacking.  you're more likely these days to get sick from produce than from meat
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    A buddy of mine told me that when he was in the Navy and about to embark on his first long tour in a nuclear sub, they asked him if he had any allergies.  He said no.  They said, well, you will when you're done.  They were right.  The sub is so sterile, lacks the antigens and flora of bacteria you're exposed to normally.  Has a profound effect on the immune system.  

I spent considerable time (totals in years) cruising the oceans in nuclear powered submarines. No allergies starting out and none when finished.  Never heard of the above issue with any crew members over the years, but never did ask either...and I didn't "do sick then and don't do it now".  I blame my good health on the medicinal effects of adult beverages.  (And care and feeding of my toothbrush :)>-  )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead

I spent considerable time (totals in years) cruising the oceans in nuclear powered submarines. No allergies starting out and none when finished.  Never heard of the above issue with any crew members over the years, but never did ask either...and I didn't "do sick then and don't do it now".  I blame my good health on the medicinal effects of adult beverages.  (And care and feeding of my toothbrush :)>-  )
    Well, he may have lied to me, but there was no faking the allergies he had.  Used nasal spray constantly.
  • my problem with germophobes isn't their germophobia.  it's that they apply it inconsistently.  people are afraid of germs only because they have been told to be.  conversely, they utterly ignore germs or procedures where they shouldn't, if they were TRULY worried about bacteria.

case in point. washing a chicken and all the cutting boards like they are nuclear waste, while serving a spinach salad, unwashed.  i'm pretty sure most cases of food poisoning from salmonella lately have occurred in produce.  because of testing, there have been beef and chicken recalls, but only a few people actually sick from it.  but produce is a different thing altogether.  more people are getting sick from produce than chicken/beef, from what  understand.  why are people only worried about raw meat?

i also like to point out that if they are truly concerned about bacteria, they are going to need to reconcile the fact that their toothbrush has been sitting out in a bathroom for the past many months, left to air dry after swabbing the bacteria from their mouth.  how do they not look sideways at their toothbrush every night and not worry? :))

it is virtually (no BS here) a certainty that every person on this forum, member or lurker, has a toothbrush which would test positive for e. coli.  and yet it's the chicken breast that freaks them out.

is there a reason your toothbrush isn't a new one opened fresh every night? aren't you worried about 'germs'? :)

truth is, the vast majority of germs in our house are OUR germs.  families have their own strains, even.  your appendix actually has a function.  to repopulate your gut with bacteria in the case of an illness where they get wiped out. 

germs aren't bad.  bad germs are bad.

there are more so-called germs on you right now than there are cells in your body.  by a huge factor.  quit panicking.  quit using antibacterials for everything, swabbing every surface with alcohol, and quit taking antibiotics unless you truly need to.

it's just giving you a false sense of security, and can actually weaken your immune response.

time to shut up, stike.  yeah. i know.

And that ladies and gents is your public service announcement if the day! Love it!, OMG I never thought of the toothbrush, but when in Anatomy class someone plucked an eyebrow and the professor quickly said how many "bugs" are living in our bodies, and to be happy they are there"
  • stike
    and showering to get rid of bacteria only makes MORE bacteria.
    bwa ha ha ah ha ha !  (evil laughter)

• nolaegghead
    Just to freak out any germophobes out there, we all have between 2-5 pounds (Stike closer to 6 *insert even more evil laughter here*) of bacteria in our bodies, and there are more bacterial cells than human.... 
  • So my wife is a chef and we use a restaurant style prep to keep sanitation.  At first I was all over the place but once I worked the system enough it was second hand.  The key really is just to have a good system which works for you.

1. All spices, seasonings, sauces are prepped into small bowls.
    2. Vegetable prep is completed with clean knives and cutting board, ready in cooking dishes or prep bowls.
    3. Meat prep is completed with clean knives and cutting board, ready for cooking on sheet tray
    4. Utensils are used from this point going forward for everything, ie I use tongs or forks to move meat, pig tail flipper works well also.
  • Just to freak out any germophobes out there, we all have between 2-5 pounds (Stike closer to 6 *insert even more evil laughter here*) of bacteria in our bodies, and there are more bacterial cells than human.... 
    I heard John Wayne had more than that
    :D
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    So my wife is a chef and we use a restaurant style prep to keep sanitation.  At first I was all over the place but once I worked the system enough it was second hand.  The key really is just to have a good system which works for you.

1. All spices, seasonings, sauces are prepped into small bowls.
    2. Vegetable prep is completed with clean knives and cutting board, ready in cooking dishes or prep bowls.
    3. Meat prep is completed with clean knives and cutting board, ready for cooking on sheet tray
    4. Utensils are used from this point going forward for everything, ie I use tongs or forks to move meat, pig tail flipper works well also.
    Exactly.....a little mise en place goes a long way to helping keep order while prepping food.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

I do make a point of washing hands before and during all phases of a cook. If you have ever spent 24-48 hours battling food poisoning (thanks sis) you find it makes you more cautious...

First thing I do before a cook is fill a sink with hot, soapy water.  Get out the tools and dishes I need and finally the food.  After I finish the meat prep I place it in a dish for transport to the grill and wash my hands.  I use tongs to get meat onto grill then wash my hands, pan and tongs.  Having a sink full of hot water means I don't have to turn on faucet or pump soap bottle until I have washed my hands. Plus whenever I was my hands I was whatever tools/dishes have used up to that point.

For things that involve mustard, rubs etc I slip on the cheap plastic food service gloves to keep my hands from getting stained.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Just to freak out any germophobes out there, we all have between 2-5 pounds (Stike closer to 6 *insert even more evil laughter here*) of bacteria in our bodies
    Really? Never gave it much thought to even look something like that up.

I tell ya......the things you learn on here!
  • stike
    there are literally more bacteria in you and on you than cells in your body
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited August 2012
    now i know, children, pregnant woman, and elderly,  should NOT touch the spice bottles in my house. i might start contaminating my beer bottles as well
    :D and no touching the egg while im cooking, im sure the grill handle will get you if the flashback doesnt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    "children, pregnant woman, and elderly"

the first two aren't likely to enter your home any time soon.  though the last category almost includes you at this point.
  • there are literally more bacteria in you and on you than cells in your body

I hope they like vodka
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    i tried to kill them with gin last night.  did not work
  • i tried to kill them with gin last night.  did not work

It takes consitant effort over many years
  • stike
    well sheesh. how many years? the last 30 haven't made a dent.
  • stike said:

well sheesh. how many years? the last 30 haven't made a dent.

I haven't had much luck either but I'm determined to see this thing through.
  • I love my Delta touch faucet-installed so I wouldn't have to touch raw meat hands when I need a wash. Yes, a lot of folks have been lucky with their food handling techniques...all it takes is one ER visit with e coli and some of the rest of the bugs and you'll likely consider changing your mind and habits...it's AWFUL...been there....done that-sorry no pis...lol

LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • 3under
    3under Posts: 19
    Well I may not be as eloquent as stike, but if I didn't wear gloves when I field dressed it I ain't wearing no gloves when I cook it!
  • Well I may not be as eloquent as stike, but if I didn't wear gloves when I field dressed it I ain't wearing no gloves when I cook it!

I like your style!
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

If I'm flippin' burgers and dogs on the long open grill at an event among people I don't know I look like I'm preparing for surgery.  At home, among friends, big difference.  Only near-complaint I ever got was from hemp-cloth wearing PIDA vegans about the smell of cooked meat.  I pointed to a scratch on the grill and said, "I always put that part upwind.  It has never had animal products on it.  How would you like your Boca Burgers?"  So they moved upwind, ate my Boca Burgers, drank my wine and whined about people who cook animals.  There's public and there's home.  Huge difference!

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I wipe my hands on my shirt a lot....

and I suffered from salmonella as a young man some 20 years ago.

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, but I've never suffered from being a hand-wiper rather than a hand-washer..