Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on long term storage of hot peppers

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'll be picking several varieties of hot and mild peppers in the next few days. Since I won't be able to taste for several months, at least, what's the best way to prepare them for long term storage?

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    edited August 2012
    Options

Congrats on your yield-don't know about long-term storage of the whole peppers since once I get more than I can consume, I smoke (on LBGE) any variety down to a chipotle type dried pepper. Finely chop them and store in glass, well-labeled jars.  (Although the afore-mentioned labeling didn't prevent my SWMBO from lacing some Au Gratin potatoes with dried habaneros vs jalapenos...I enjoyed them!)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    BTW-shoulda picked up on your taste comment-trust you continue to beat the system and you are beating them up with the treatment protocols.  Best of continued luck and to a most successful outcome!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

lousubcap

Thanks for the thoughts. Only 2-1/2 weeks to go, the end is in sight. I asked the oncologist today, how long afer the last treatment might I get some taste back. He said I may get a little back in a month, but more will probably be up to 6 months. I'm obviously hope for sooner, because I miss my Egg!!

The peppers I have to store are Anahiem, Poblano and Jalapeno.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.