Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHALLENGER CABINETS??

ccpoulin1
ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am looking at building a "modular" outdoor kitchen with cabinets from Challenger cabinets.  They build powder coated aluminum cabinets and have cabinets that fit my XL egg.  Has anybody taken this route?  I am sure it will not be cheap, but nothing of quality is.  I am concerned about using wood here in the South Florida sun.  Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not familiar with Challenger cabinets, but you might look into marine grade cabinets for boats as they are exposed to lots of the Florida sun and humidity.
  • ccpoulin1
    I thought about using stainless, and have not ruled it out.  There are some people on here that have purchased their (challenger) egg nests with flip out wings.  Kind of pricey......  I am curious to see what they come back with for pricing for what i want.  It will be "L" shaped.  Are you aware of any longevity problems for powder coated aluminum?  I am sure if i chip it, it will corrode.  Do you know of any fabricators down here (WPB area) that does marine cabinets??  Thanks for your time!

• Richard Fl
    I have a large table that is on the East side of the house and 4-5 years back I had some diamond pattern metal cut for the top.  Looked great, but when I was cooking in the AM with the morning sun to my back the reflection was bad news.  I have had several BGE eggcessories powder coated over the years but they were used for cooking and I was told they were good for around 450F direct heat.  Found out as time progressed that they would blister the powder coat.  Still use the pieces, but they are not preety BGE green.  Maybe there is a higher temp for powder coating.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    They do a ceramic coating on exhaust manifolds & headers for cars.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I thought about stainless top for my table but was concerned about it becoming very hot in summer with the sun beating down on it and the glare issue! Anybody with SS have those problems?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I bought the challenger table at the same time I bought my first XL.  I love it - easy to keep clean, lots of storage space that is weather proof, and several colors to pick from.  I wish I knew I was going to buy a second XL when I bought the table - I would have gotten one that would hold both XLs.  I live near Nashville and was concerned what the weather was going to do to wood so my wife convinced me that the challenger table was the way to go and I'm really glad she did.  Not cheap but I won't have to reseal it and I think it will last for a very long time.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• ccpoulin1

dlk7,  It really looks great!  I am looking at an outdoor kitchen type of set up.  "L" shaped approximately 8' x 6' with a sink and space for a small refrigerator, waste basket, and a drawer cabinet.  So far the people at challenger have been very professional, and have either e-mailed me or called very quickly.  I got pricing yesterday, and they are giving me a break because the area distributor has no dealer near me.  I am considering this option for longevity and ease of assembly.  It always seems like time is at a premium.  I am going to price out the outdoor kitchen kits first, but at this point i think i may go with the challenger option.  I will keep you posted as the story unfolds.  Thanks for your input!

• Richard Fl
    I thought about stainless top for my table but was concerned about it becoming very hot in summer with the sun beating down on it and the glare issue! Anybody with SS have those problems?
    Look above for my post ref SS.  Mine got hot to the touch also.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I have a Challenger cabinet I do not find them to get overly hot.   I would recommend them to anyone.    Mine is the same as DLK's
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • lakebndegg
    lakebndegg Posts: 28
    just ordered my challenger cart in orange..picking it up at the eggfest in Winston Salem

• Jsturmi
    Jsturmi Posts: 8
    I am a new Egg owner... Wedding gift from my new bride (I think she got tired of hearing me talk about it)... She encouraged me to get the Challenger cart too. I love it! Lots of storage, waterproof, looks great on the patio. It's the perfect cart. I cannot express how much I enjoy cooking w/ my Egg!
  • ccpoulin1
    I di purchase an outdoor kitchen from Challenger.  Now i just have to wait about 3-4 weeks for it to be delivered!  I can't wait.

• I bought the challenger table at the same time I bought my first XL.  I love it - easy to keep clean, lots of storage space that is weather proof, and several colors to pick from.  I wish I knew I was going to buy a second XL when I bought the table - I would have gotten one that would hold both XLs.  I live near Nashville and was concerned what the weather was going to do to wood so my wife convinced me that the challenger table was the way to go and I'm really glad she did.  Not cheap but I won't have to reseal it and I think it will last for a very long time.
    I bought the cabinet with the green doors when i got my xl egg last weekend. It is well made and I feel it should last a long time. Expensive? Yep. But i feel it will be worth in in the long run. As stated above it is very easy to keep clean .
  • 3MBBQ
    3MBBQ Posts: 26
    Another Challenger cabinet lover here....and my delivery was less than 3 weeks!! Every time I use the egg now I am completely impressed with how functional the cabinet is. The storage is great and very well designed. The extra 'flip up' side table was well worth the extra expense to upgrade.
  • ccpoulin1
    I will post pictures when i get the kitchen in and assembled.  It will be an "L" shape, about 8' x6' with a refrigerator cabinet and a corner sink.  The wait is going to kill me!  I am having it delivered to my work so i can inspect it for any damage etc.....

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

"Scientists say the universe is made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.  They forgot to mention Morons"

@ccpoulin1 ...that tag line is as good as it get's....preach on!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• ccpoulin1
    I can't take credit for it, somebody sent it to me on an e-card.

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    we may need to find out who it was and run them for political office....that have a grip on things...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Another Challenger cabinet lover here....and my delivery was less than 3 weeks!! Every time I use the egg now I am completely impressed with how functional the cabinet is. The storage is great and very well designed. The extra 'flip up' side table was well worth the extra expense to upgrade.

3M, Glad to hear you love it.   I wish I had gotten the extra flip up shelf.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Well, I finally have it installed with the exception of plumbing and electricity.  The range hood and overhead halogen lights are all installed.  It is very nice with the exception that the pull handles are rusting.....  (i am sure Challenger will solve that problem!)  For the space i have available, this is about the best i could do!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Very nice!  Love the hood - first time I've seen that.
    Awesome!!!!  Really nice setup.

Waunakee, WI

• When i remodel the inside, i will run the plumbing and electricity so i can be done with it.  That won't happen until after New Years day.  Overall, i am very happy with it, just have to solve the "stainless steel rust" problem on the handles.  I was thinking about powder coating them to match the color on the frame.  Thanks for the compliments!

• Huns
    Huns Posts: 6
    Hey Guys,
    I bought one of these Challenger tables for my large BGE. dlk7, I bought this at the same True Value that you did in Franklin. I love the table and it is well built and looks great on my patio. I thought the copper powder coating on the rear of the table was actual powder coating, but it is a film applied over the stainless steel. I have had some of it come off the table over the last two days with the winds we have had. Has any one else experienced this? I need to figure out how to get a sheet of this film to repair the table. 
  • dlk7
    I just went out and checked mine.  I had no idea it was a film. No problems with mine.  I would talk with the folks at the True Value - they have always been extemely helpful with any problems I've had.  No way that should come off due to wind.

Waunakee, WI

• ccpoulin1 said:
    Well, I finally have it installed with the exception of plumbing and electricity.  The range hood and overhead halogen lights are all installed.  It is very nice with the exception that the pull handles are rusting.....  (i am sure Challenger will solve that problem!)  For the space i have available, this is about the best i could do!
    How does that vent-a -hood perform for you? looking to do one over mine and was wondering if it did indeed suck up all the smoke. Thanks
    Brandon, MS
  • dlk7
    Huns said:
    Hey Guys,
    I bought one of these Challenger tables for my large BGE. dlk7, I bought this at the same True Value that you did in Franklin. I love the table and it is well built and looks great on my patio. I thought the copper powder coating on the rear of the table was actual powder coating, but it is a film applied over the stainless steel. I have had some of it come off the table over the last two days with the winds we have had. Has any one else experienced this? I need to figure out how to get a sheet of this film to repair the table. 
    Huns - did the True Value store help you out?  I have recommended them to several people and want to make sure they are still customer service oriented.

Waunakee, WI

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    I just got my Large BGE in a powder coated Challenger Cabinet. Love the look and functionality so far. Copper top and trim, gloss black doors.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • ccpoulin1:  That is a great looking outdoor kitchen.  Very impressed.  I only hope I can do something like that at my house.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • ccpoulin1 said:
    Well, I finally have it installed with the exception of plumbing and electricity.  The range hood and overhead halogen lights are all installed.  It is very nice with the exception that the pull handles are rusting.....  (i am sure Challenger will solve that problem!)  For the space i have available, this is about the best i could do!
    How does that vent-a -hood perform for you? looking to do one over mine and was wondering if it did indeed suck up all the smoke. Thanks
    Not as well as i hoped.  It needs to be deeper and pull more air.  This was taken out of my kitchen that is getting ready for a remodel.  It looks good and does help, but when it gets windy, the smoke is pretty much all over.  I will probably do a commercial hood at some time down the road.